chapter 8

"don't look, don't look" dad said trying to drag carol away from the scene.

she got herself out of his arms and stormed off. i went over to dad and wrapped my arms around his left arm. he looked down at me clearly saddened by the entire situation. he was so determined to find sophia. but the entire time, she was a walker inside of hershel's barn.

hershel's daughter beth was loudly sobbing. heshel was knelt down on one knee with tears streaming down his face. he was still in shock. beth started to run over to one of the walkers, rick tried to stop her but failed.

she knelt down next to the dead walker that i assumed was her mom and was sobbing. when she rolled the walker over, it started snarling and tried to attack her. we all ran over to separate beth from the walker. once we got her pulled back, andrea killed it.

shane went off and started yelling at the greene family. mainly hershel. him yelling at hershel pushed his last button. he wants us off his land immediately.

dad went off to go comfort carol. he told me to stay behind because he wanted to talk to her alone. i hung out with dale in the mean time.

they got the graves dug and dad came out of the rv without carol. he immediately came over to me. without hesitation, he wrapped his arms around me and squeezed me. i wrapped my arms around him in return. "i love ya" he muttered kissing the top of my head.

at the service for the ones we have lost, dad kept his arm around me the entire time. i understood why. a few days back he said that he didn't give up hope on sophia because he had me. and now that sophia is gone, he is terrified to loose me too.

dad didn't let me out of his sight for the entire evening.

we found this old stone fireplace a little ways out on the property. dad sharpened a stick with a knife while i read the book andrea gave him a few days back.

lori approached and informed us that something is wrong with beth and she needs dad to go get hershel and rick. "your bitch went window shopping. you go fetch him yourself. plus i got better things to do. like watch over my kid" he said in a smart ass tone to lori.

it took everything in me not to laugh. he was implying that lori never keeps watch over carl.

lori then called dad selfish and he went completely off on her. all his point were completely relevant. he spent the most effort looking for sophia. lori gave up and stormed off because she couldn't argue with that.

i looked over at dad. "what" he muttered. i looked back at my book. "nothin'" i said continuing to read.