Chapter 4

The sound of voices wakes me up. Groggily I lift my head in time to see Claire sit down in the seat in front of us, completely unaware of our presence. I look down at Owen to see him still sleeping. Gently I pat his chest to wake him up and I groan as it sit up. Apparently my sound alerts Claire as she turns to us with wide eyes.

"Sadie!"

Owen slowly rises next to me, effectively pushing me off his body. Claire's gaze shifts to him.

"Owen!"

"I didn't think you were ever gonna show up."

I turn to him, my eyes still heavy.

"What time is it?"

"It's been a few hours." I cast my gaze towards Claire.

"God you guys take forever."

We're distracted by two more people getting on the plane, people I've never seen before. The girl stops talking when she sees us.

"Oh, um, this is Zia Rodriguez." Owen moves up to the seat next to Claire and I settle in in the back. He shakes Zia's hand and she turns to me.

"This is Sadie," Claire informs them, and I give them a small wave.

"Hey," is all I say, still pretty tired. Claire points to the guy who also boarded the plane.

"Franklin Webb, systems analyst." He doesn't greet us. Instead, he grips his bag nervously and stares out the window.

"Nervous flyer?" Owen jokes.

"What, did you ride a thousand pound horse that's been abused all its life?"

"I rode my motorcycle through the woods with a pack of raptors."

I can't help but chuckle and smile bittersweetly at the memory.

"We're not compatible."

The plane ride is long and bumpy. The size of the plane means more turbulence, which is not a fun experience. If finally dies down once we're flying over the island.

My stomach churns as I gaze out the window. The mountains rise way higher than we are, and everything is now coated in a layer of green forest. Where the park used to be is now overtaken by nature, much harder to see from the air than it was when it was open. It's when we fly by the volcano that my heart sinks.

I can't even see the top of the volcano through all the smoke. Clouds form a ring around the middle of the mountain and blend with the plume of dark smoke in the sky.

"Jesus..." I mutter in shock. "I didn't think it was this bad."

"We don't have much time left," Claire replies, also seeming to be in shock.

The landing is about as bumpy as the flight itself. I can't help but be relieved to be back on land. I take a deep breath as we stand and Owen turns to face me.

"You good?"

I nod.

"Yeah, let's do this thing."

I can hear someone else's voice outside as we exit the plane. My face contorts in disgust as I step into the heat and humidity, already sweating. I can tell the others are just as effected, as Franklin rips off his jacket and shouts, also annoyed.

"Oh god! It's hot!"

I turn to Owen to see him talking to another guy, I'm guessing the one I heard talking earlier. I walk up to them.