Chapter 11

I grunt as I'm pushed into a room, and I stumble forward. The room is dark, lit only by a few lamps in the corners of the room. A desk sits in front of me, with a couple chairs in front of it, and behind it sits Wheatley.

My blood boils at the mere sight of him.

A smile rests on his face, but I can tell it's a frustrated one.

"So, you're still alive."

I lift my chin and glare at him, trying to burn a hole through him.

"No thanks to you," I spit out. He cocks his head at me.

"You should've stayed on that island."

"You should've stayed off that island," I challenge, every fiber of my being resisting the urge to punch him until he bleeds.

He lifts a hand and gestures to the chairs.

"Take a seat."

"I think I'll stand."

He sighs slowly, lowering his arm. He folds his hands over his stomach and his eyes stare daggers into mine.

"I'm guessing you weren't the only one to get off the island. Tell me, where are your friends hiding?"

I shake my head gently at him. Obviously he can't know they're on the ship, too.

"I'm the only one," I say, shrugging slightly. I know he won't believe me, but it's better than admitting outright that they're on board.

"You seem rather calm, then, considering all your friends are dead." He tilts his head to the side in question.

"Guess it's the shock. I'm sure it'll sink in soon."

Wheatley sighs and rises from his desk. He gestures towards me.

"Lock her somewhere she can't get out. And search the ship."

He leaves the room and my arms are grabbed rather aggressively by the henchmen. They lead me out of the office and they walk briskly towards another room, and this one is much smaller.

It's basically a storage closet, with a little extra space. They aren't gentle as they shove me inside and slam the door closed, and the lock clunks behind me. I turn towards the door and run my hands up and down the walls, eventually hitting a switch. A couple dim lights turn on, illuminating my makeshift cell. I try the doorknob, just to make sure, but as expected, the door doesn't open. I sigh in frustration and run my fingers through my hair.

Anxiety starts to build inside me as I think of Owen and the others. They're searching the ship for the rest of them, how long until they find them? How long until the others are locked up like this?

I can only hope they at least make it in time to save Blue as I resort to pacing around the small prison.

I jump up to the sound of the ship's horn blaring. I push myself to my feet and wait for the door to open, and much to my dismay, it takes more time than I thought it would. Commotion outside the door gets louder as the dinosaurs are loaded off the ship, and footsteps clang past the room, but no one seems to remember I'm in here.

I'm just about to start banging on the door when the lock clunks again and a brighter light fills the closet. Once again rough hands grab my arms and pull me out of the closet. The rest of the ship is a frenzy as men rush around everywhere, making sure their whole evil plan goes off without a hitch. I try to scan the room for any signs of Owen or Claire or anyone, but I can only look so much without being obvious.

Unfortunately I can't locate the others before I'm shoved into the back of a truck.

"Sit," a firm voice says behind me, so I turn and sit down. Two different guys with guns are facing me, but luckily they aren't pointing their weapons at me. More men rush by outside the truck, but the sound of vehicles starting echoes around the ship, and it tells me we're leaving soon.

"So, how are you guys doin' today?"

The two exchange glances and return their eyes to me questioningly. I smack my lips and look away.

"Okay then..."

I feel a sense of dread as the truck slowly peels away from the ship. Not knowing where any of the others are gets to my head and leads me to imagining all the worse scenarios.

No, I tell myself. You can't think like that. They'll make it out, they'll be fine. I take a deep breath as I watch the ship get further away.

The only indication I get of where we're going is the glimpses I get through the back of the truck. All I can tell is that we're going somewhere in the woods, given all the time we've spent driving past trees. I can faintly hear grumbles and the occasional roar of a dinosaur as the trucks jostle them around, but they still seem to be pretty sedated.

Many minutes pass before the scenery outside changes. The sound of the trucks seems to echo more, and finally I see a concrete ceiling and walls through the truck's opening. We come to a stop and immediately the guards rise and step onto the concrete. They finally aim their guns at me and instruct me to exit the vehicle. I comply, and try my best to get a good look around as they lead me through the room.

We're in a giant garage, basically. Everything is concrete, and there's a large opening that leads to the woods outside. Dozens of trucks are piled in, and cages are being wheeled every which way. Men rush about, and all the movement makes it harder for me to find Owen or Claire, if they even made it off the ship.

I'm lead down hallway after hallway, and I watch in silent horror as dinosaurs are loaded into cells that are way too small for them. Tears burn in my eyes, and I turn my gaze to the floor in front of me.

He is going to fucking pay. Everyone who had a say in this is going to pay.

The men are slightly more gentle as they load me into an actual cell. But only slightly. I turn around to face them as they shut the door and lock it. I glare holes through them as they walk away, leaving me there. I sigh in defeat and wipe at my eyes, not wanting to cry here. I turn towards the wall and bury my face in my hands, trying to recollect myself.

You're locked in a cell, alone, with no way out, and no one around to help you. You don't know where your friends are, or where your husband is, or if they're okay, or alive, and you've all been taken by animal traffickers.

I inhale sharply and lift my head, raking my fingers through my hair.

"You can do this," I mutter to myself. I take a deep breath and try to calm myself.

I turn to the sound of the cell across from me being filled. I walk up to the bars of my cell and watch in dread, waiting to see which dino it is.

Immediately, any courage or strength I'd managed to build up for myself crumbles as Bella is coerced into the tiny cell. A goat leg hangs out of her mouth and her head collides with the bars as she tries to walk further. She roars half-heartedly and lies on the ground in defeat.

A sob erupts from my lips before I can stop it. I wrap my arms around the bars and curl up on the floor, watching Bella. The weight of the situation comes crashing down onto my shoulders as another cry crawls up from my throat. I don't have a choice but to let the tears fall this time. I allow myself to break down.

I should've stayed off the island.