Chapter 10

"We need to go."

I look up at Owen as he speaks.

"We need to find Blue."

I lift my head from his shoulder and stretch out my legs. I glance outside the truck to see a few men with guns slowly making their way through the cages, barely looking around. They seem more interested in the animals inside the cages than looking for dangers outside them.

Slowly we climb out of the truck, one by one. Claire steps out of the driver's seat and we meet her around the truck. We follow Owen as he leads us around the ship, keeping us out of sight of the guards patrolling around. He peeks inside some other vehicles and cages, but none so far have Blue. At least, until we come upon a large truck that emanates pained screeches and heavy panting. Owen peeks his head inside and Zia's voice pipes up.

"Oh my god, you guys are alive!" Owen climbs inside and gestures for us to follow. I take a deep breath as I know we are no longer in danger of being seen. I watch as Owen approaches Blue. I feel a sting in my chest at how much pain she's in. I can't help but step closer, and I see that Zia is holding a bloody cloth to the bullet wound.

"Look what they've done to her," Owen mutters, gingerly touching Blue's head. I reach out and gently stroke her backside. I can't imagine how I would feel if this was Bella.

"Who are these assholes?" Zia whisper-shouts.

"Animal traffickers." Owen glances at us. Of course. "Look how they treat these animals, they're not gonna take them to a sanctuary. They're gonna sell them."

"Not Blue, they need her for something else." Zia says. I furrow my brows slightly in confusion. You'd think Blue would be worth a lot, you'd think they would want to sell her. My nose scrunches at the thought. What else would they want her for?

"Like what?" Claire voices my thoughts. Zia shakes her head.

"I don't know, but she's hemorrhaging and I don't have instruments to keep her alive."

Blue picks her head up off the table for a moment before groaning in pain and dropping it.

"Hey," Owen coos softly. "You're okay. You're alright."

Zia calls Claire over to switch places. I feel a pang in my chest as Blue cries out in pain when Claire applies pressure to the wound. Zia steps towards us.

"I can't take the bullet out without a transfusion from another animal, which one of you knows how to find a vein?"

"Oh, I did a blood drive with the Red Cross!" Claire pipes up, readjusting her hands. We all stare at her for a moment.

"Great!" Zia says, walking around the truck, grabbing things. "Franklin, take over for Claire." I look at Franklin and see reluctance in his face. "Franklin, now!" He looks between Zia and me.

"Why can't she do it?" He gestures to me.

"Because we're going to need her for this." I stare at Zia, now confused and a bit curious. I watch her as she hands Claire a bag and needle.

"All of the animals should be sedated. We need a carnivore with two or three fingers, no more than three, the blood type should be close enough." Owen approaches us as Zia looks at me. "I think there's one on board. This is where you come in."

Bella.

I take a deep breath and nod in understanding. We just have to find her and stick her with a needle. It'll be easy, right?

"She should be on the other side of the ship, at least, that's where I heard her last. You guys have to hurry though, Blue won't last much longer like this." We all nod at what we have to do. Claire and I slip out of the truck, and I see Owen cast a sad glance back at Blue before he follows us.