Chapter 16

Owen finishes tying my button-up shirt around  my leg, securing the knots and making sure his belt-tourniquet is secure. The slowing of blood-flow to my leg has luckily numbed the pain a bit, so it's more bearable.

"That's going to have to be good enough for now, until we can get you to a hospital."

I look up at Owen and grab his hand, which is covered in my blood.

"Thank you." He doesn't hesitate to lean forward and press his lips to mine, and I can feel all his fear as he grips my face with his other hand and kisses me like I just died and came back to life. After a few moments he pulls away and tightens his grip on my hand.

"You've got to stop doing that." He breathes out. I give him a quizzical look.

"Doing what?"

He lifts up my left hand so I can see where my fingers used to be.

"Getting hurt, and scaring the shit out of me."

I smile and chuckle.

"I can't make any promises."

Owen just shakes his head and gently kisses my forehead before standing up. He looks down at the three of us.

"What are we going to do now?" Claire asks, now kneeling. Owen looks around, and his eyes land on a ladder. He peers down and looks back at us. His eyes land on me again and he sighs, and I can see the gears turning in his head.

"I don't want to do this, god I don't want to do this, but I think... I have to leave you here."

My eyes widen.

"What?"

"We can't stay here, but you can't walk, let alone run." I open my mouth to fight back, and he kneels down again to get close to me. "I know you are safer here than you are out there. I'm sorry." He looks at Claire, then Maisie, then back to Claire.

"I need you to stay with her." Claire's brows furrow for a moment, as I'm sure she wants to stay with Maisie, but she knows I shouldn't be left alone. She looks at me and nods her head.

"Okay."

Owen looks at me again and kisses me one last time, and fear seeps into my thoughts as this almost feels like a final goodbye.

I don't like that feeling. I don't like it one bit.

"I'll come back, I promise." He instructs Maisie to climb down the ladder and he follows. Right before his head disappears he meets my eyes. "I love you."

Then his head sinks below the floor and he's gone.

"I gently bang my head against the wall as Claire paces back and forth, her arms folded and her face twisted into deep thought. My other leg shakes anxiously. I hate sitting here doing nothing.

A faint scream echoes into the small room, and I pause. I look up at Claire to see she's stopped pacing, and she meets my eyes. I wait a few moments, and another faint scream reaches us. My eyes widen in fear.

I start trying to push myself up, using the wall as supports and using my one good leg to push, but Claire starts pushing me back down.

"We need to go help them," I try to reason, but Claire won't listen.

"You need to stay here, your leg is really bad-"

"They need help, they need our help."

"Sadie, you can't put strain on your leg-"