06. On Fire

The beach was busier than I expected it to be. Which would make finding Julian and Bobby that much more difficult. I slipped off my sandals, letting my bare feet sink into the cool sand as I moved closer to the water, where most people have accumulated.

There were a few bonfires happening, people surrounded them as they enjoyed the cool summer night. I subtly checked each group as I made my way down the beach. Getting just close enough to make out their face, but no so close that I looked like I was creeping.

Halfway down the beach, I saw them. Well, Julian as his face was illuminated by the fire going on in the pit. He was the most animated that I'd ever seen him as he told some story. No trace of the shy, clumsy boy I was used to seeing at Sprinklez.

When he's eyes met mine over the blaze of the fire he froze--only for a millisecond. One of those blink and you'd miss it moments.

"Hi," I said, once I was at a point where I wouldn't have to yell.

Bobby, who sat on a log across from Julian, turned to look up at me, as did the girl who had her legs draped across his lap.

"Elisa Robinson," Bobby said, shooting Julian a look a couldn't decipher before his eyes came back to me. "You actually showed up."

"Yes, I did," I agreed as I took the only available seat next which was next to Julian. "Is there a reason you call out my full name every time you see me?"

He lifted a shoulder nonchalantly. "Just want to show you that I remember your name."

"Well you ever stop teasing me about that?"

"Hmm," he hummed, his face scrunching up as he rubbed his chin. "Maybe. Four years tops."

A small chuckle left my lip. Even though I really hoped he was joking.

"Ahem!" The girl on his lap coughed. "Don't be rude, Robert."

His forehead wrinkled in confusion before catching on. "Oh, this is Ariel," he told me, patting the girl's knee. "The old ball and chain."

She was pale, with chubby cheeks and pin straight black hair that was thrown into a ponytail. "I know we just met, but if you make a Little Mermaid reference I will kill you with my bare hands."

"Got it," I said, holding up my hands in surrender. "As someone whose had her name confused with Elsa way too many times, I completely understand."

The girl smiled, her blue lighting up. "Finally, someone who gets the struggle."

Bobby picked up a backpack I hadn't noticed before that was right at his feet. He unzipped it, pulling out a bag of marshmallows. "Now to do what we came here for."

Ariel swung her legs from her boyfriend's lap, looking giddy as he unpacked graham crackers and a few pokers.

"You came here to make s'more." I wasn't complaining or anything, they just seemed really excited about them.

"Ariel's never had one," Julian explained.

My eyes widened as I looked at the girl. "Never?"

"My mom was very strict when it came to sweets."

Bobby passed around the pokers, marshmallows and crackers. "I couldn't find Hershey's at the store, so I got this instead," he pulled out a squeeze bottle of chocolate syrup, "It'll still work."

When he tried to pass it to us Julian and I replied, in unison, with a no thanks. Bobby looked deeply confused, but didn't question it.

I should've been assembling my own s'mores but I, like Julian and Bobby, was more focused on Ariel. There was something mesmerizing about someone trying something for the first time. She was almost like The Little Mermaid, walking on land for the first time. Not that I'd say that out loud.