32. Hold Your Breath

Adam started to make his way over to me, a plastic red cup in his hand that I'm positive had liquor in it. I scrambled to put my shirt back on. That only made him laugh.

"It ain't nothing I haven't seen before." He's in front of me now, taking a sip from his drink. Definitely liquor and from the stench that came off of him, it wasn't his first cup.

I took a quick glance at the sliding door. Julian should be back any minute now. My gaze fell back on Adam. I just needed to get rid of this drunken idiot.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned, inching away from him for some fresh air.

"It's a party," he slurred, throwing his arms up. Then he began kicking off his shoes and sock. "We going swimming?"

What the hell did he think he was doing? My panic only worsened when he pulled off his shirt. He definitely needed to go. Now.

"No!" I spat, unable to contain my annoyance. My eyes kept darting to the door. "And the invitation wasn't extended to you.  You need to leave."

"C'mon. I just got dumped," he said, as he walked over the diving board, standing on it.

"And?" I scoffed, crossing my arms. "Sounds like a personal problem. You should go home and reflect on all the shitty things you've done that put you in this position. Like, I don't know, cheating on people."

He seemed to consider this. The only move he made, though, was to finish off whatever he had in the cup before tossing it on the ground.

"I never cheated you."

I let out a humorless laugh. "Right. Okay. Thanks for filling me in. You can go now."

My eyes kept flickering to the back door. Julian should be on his way back here by now. I didn't want Adam--shirtless and drunk--to still be here when he did. Unfortunately, Adam felt the need to tell me his side of things like that'd change anything between us.

"I'm being for real, Elisa." His voice almost sounded like a whine. "Mel and I didn't do anything until after you and I broke up."

I shifted my weight to the other foot. My temper rising with every breath I took. "That make you feel better? Telling me that the only reason you dumped me was to go screw some other girl?"

He ignored that as he glanced down at the water. When he met my eyes again he had a smirk on his face. "Remember when we used to sneak back here when they were out of town?"

"I remember you not being able to swim," I said. My patients were running thin. The playful mood I was in with Julian was completely gone. This wasn't worth it.

"Get in with me," he said, a stupid grin on his face. "You can be the life guard."

That's it. He wasn't getting any more of my time. The water was cold anyway, I thought I grabbed my sandals. Before I made it to door there was a splash. I stop in my tracks, but didn't turn around. Idiot. He wouldn't have jumped in without a plan. Maybe Melanie taught him to swim. Whatever. I didn't care.

My conscience wouldn't let me leave without just a quick glance over my shoulder. Adam was floating face down in the water. He was baiting me. No way he'd be dumb enough to let himself drown. Still, I couldn't walk away.

I waited. It's not like he could hold his breath for that long. I'm sure I'd only been standing there for a couple seconds, but it felt like minutes. Walking back to the edge of the pool I call out his name.

"Adam, this isn't funny," I said when he didn't say anything back.

My pulse quickened. He couldn't hold his breath for that long. Could he? Fuck! I jumped into the water fully clothed. Adrenaline helped with dragging him towards the steps.