33. Playing Hooky

My phone was glued to my hand for the rest of the night after what happened at Kells party. When I woke up to the sound of vacuuming I was still clutching it. There was no new message from Julian. The last text he sent was before he got to the party.

I couldn't tell if the feeling in my chest was from disappointment or relief. Did I want him to contact me after what I saw? The images, clear as day, still flashed across my mind every time I blinked. It was like a switch flipped and the sweet guy I knew turned into someone completely unrecognizable.

My phone dinged and I almost tossed it across the room it scared me so bad. Hesitantly, I glanced at the screen, letting out a slow breath when I realized it was only a text from Kells.

What tf was that last night?

After losing sight of Julian last night, I ran off myself to avoid ending up in the back of a cop car. Then I spent about an hour sitting in the backyard with Nova and trying to get myself to stop crying before I went inside. I didn't need my parents, especially not my mom, to see me like this over some more boy drama.

Don't know, I messaged back. It was the truth. I didn't know why Adam was so hell bent on ruining my relationship. And I didn't know why Julian lost it like that. It couldn't have just been because of the shit Adam was saying. It had to be something more.

You got work today?
Let's go spend some money
I need some new clothes

Her offer was tempting, but I did have a shift at Sprinklez. And Tim wanted to go over the script for the next installment of Mr. Sundae and Miss. Sprinkles.

Would Julian be there? Or was he too injured to even show up. He might have had the upper hand, but Adam did get a few brutal hits in. Ugh. Adam. He worked right across the lot from Sprinklez. If they both showed up to work today would they try to go for round two? I hadn't been this stressed out since AP chemistry.

Okay, I messaged back. Give me an hour.

+ + +

Kells and I went to one of our favorite shops. It was a long drive, but it was worth it. They always had the cutest summer dresses. All of them handmade by the owner. As we entered the shop, a guy walked out, carrying a little girl in his arms. Kells nearly broke her neck trying to get a better look at him, despite him having, like, ten years on her and having a toddler.

"I'm not into white boys," she said once he was out of earshot. "But with those green eyes I could be."

"He's taken," the owner said from behind the counter, a teasing smile on her face.

"Okay, Miss Loren," Kells said, sounding impressed. "You got anything new?"

As she and the owner talked I wandered around the store looking at maxi dresses and flowy skirts. Nothing was really calling out to me, though. Maybe I was too distracted. My mind was still focused on last night. Instinctively, I reached for me phone, then remembered that I left it at home. At the time I thought it'd help me not stress out about the fact that Julian hasn't tried to contact me. Now I'm just eager to get home so I can see if he has.

"You find anything you like?" Kells asked, appearing beside me. "My treat."

I'd been trying to put a happy face today and enjoy the day with her, but it was clear that I failed. She never offered to pay for anything. "Wow. Do I look that pathetic?"

She didn't reply to that. She didn't need to. I knew I did. "Have you talked to him?"

"No," I admitted, chewing at my lip. Then, with a little more confidence, I added, "And I don't want to talk about him. My brain needs a break from all of this. So, no boy talk today."