26. Salty Breeze (2)

The afternoon sun was high in the sky, it's heat beating down on us. It was probably a hundred degrees out. I hardly had time to think about the weather when I was currently trying to knock Ariel off of Bobby's shoulders.

My attempts to win the game were weakened by my laughter caused by the commentary from both Julian and Bobby. I'd always wondered what the two of them had in common other than their job.

"You called my top pink when it was clearly salmon!" Julian squealed in what I think was meant to be my voice.

I couldn't tell which was making me laugh more; their voices or what the thought girls fought over.

"At least I complemented you," Bobby counter in an equally high pitched voice. "You haven't even mentioned my new haircut. I spent nearly thirty bucks on it. And does anyone take the time to tell me how nice it looks? No."

His girl voice was gone by the end of his rant. Ariel, Julian and I froze, our eyes darting to a red faced Bobby.

"You okay, man?"

He cleared his throat, nodding at Julian's question. "Yeah. No. I'm good," he said quickly. "Just would've been nice if someone had said something."

"Aw, baby," Ariel cooed kissing the top of his head.

Who knew he was so sensitive about his hair.

"Got room for two more?"

My stomach lurched at the sound of Melanie's voice. I turned my attention to her and Adam as they made their way to the water. The entire mood shifted. Playful to tense in a second. I'm sure it didn't go unnoticed by anyone.

Ariel seemed to be the most distressed and confused about how to handle her best friend. She reminded me of Kells, having to accept my relationship with Adam even though she didn't approve of it. Ariel held back the eye rolls and snarky comments, though.

"Yeah," I said before climbing down from Julian's shoulders. "I'm taking a snack break."

The awkwardness was too much for me. I couldn't get out of that water fast enough. Julian fell into step beside me as I made my way to seating area we set up.

"I take back what I said before." He glanced at me, eyebrows raised. "This isn't our first date. My ex can't be present on our first date."

+ + +

The sun was beginning to dip into the ocean, leaving the sky streaked with orange. I sat in the shade of umbrella with Tarah while the other's played touch football. Julian, Bobby and Ariel against Chris, Adam and Melanie. They tried to talk the two of us into playing, but Tarah and I have a strict no physical activity in million degree weather policy.

"Damn," Tarah whistled. "I love my Chris, but would you look at the physique on that Adam. Mel is lucky to know what those arms feel like."

My body went stiff at her words. Mel is lucky. Something burned in the pit of my stomach. It couldn't be jealousy. Why would it be? I was over Adam. Completely. Maybe it was the vegan hotdog Ariel talked me into eating.

Tuning out any more commentary from Tarah, I tried to focus on the game. I didn't know who was winning or if they were even keeping score. I did know that I couldn't keep my eyes off of Julian as he ran along the beach.

He caught me staring, a smile stretched across his face. I waved, feeling a smile of my own growing. What I felt in my chest only confirmed that I was definitely over my ex.

The moment was short lived when the football collided with Julian's face. I was on my feet and by his side before I could fully process what had happened. His nose was bleeding, but he insisted that he was fine. That didn't stop my worrying, though.