Chapter 2

"I know I told you I wanted waha, Tascama, but the smell of wilted greens is churning my stomach. How about a meilooron?"

The server, Padawan Tascama, shook her dark ponytail and smiled at her teacher. "Master Naluma, you know we've been out of those for weeks now."

Master Fau winced as her unborn son kicked. So much for maternity leave. Covering that advanced lightsaber class for Master Kalder was not what I had in mind.  She kneaded her knuckles over her lower spine. I hope he's back in time to teach battle tactics. I just want to get off my swollen feet, rest my aching back, and feed this hungry boy in my womb.

Tascama cleared her throat and nodded toward the dinner queue stretching beyond the dining hall entrance like a Krayyt Dragon undulating on the dunes of Tatooine.

"How about some of that nerf strip." Naluma pointed to the orange strips of meat marinating in a tangy sauce.

The Padawan piled a few strips of lean nerf steak onto the Jedi Master's plate with a few steamed vegetables and tubers.

"More."

Two more strips joined the growing mound.

"More than that." She gave a wan smile. "Sorry."

The Padawan smiled. "Mum was just like this when she was carrying my brother." The girl reached below the counter. "While we don't have any meiloorons, I do have . . ." She pulled out a plate with a triangle of dark cake. ". . . this."

Master Fau's eyes brightened at the treat. Her mouth broke into a wide smile.

"Last piece."

Tascama handed the Jedi Master a large slice of seven-layer lishi cake. Lishi frosting, lishi shavings, and lishi cake all in a slender wedge on white porcelain. The icing dribbled across the plate, leaving long streaks of dark ecstasy.

Naluma ran her finger through the icing and sucked the creamy lishi from her fingertips. "How did you know I've been cra—" 

Boisterous cries behind her interrupted her. "Master Luke! Master Luke!"

She whipped her head around toward the entrance. Sure enough, Luke had arrived with Jedi Master Kalder Flo'et and his twin sister Jedi Knight Kallay Flo'et—a few glorious hours earlier than expected. 

"Let me through. Urgent Jedi business." With a warm smile on his face, Luke pushed his way through the crowd to the front of the line.

All eyes focused on him as he wrapped his arms around his gravid wife. With gentleness, he took her head in his hands and planted his lips firmly on hers. "I've missed you so much, Luma." The longing in his voice stretched out the nickname.

"Missed. You. More." She wrapped her hands around his head and settled in for a long kiss that not only spoke of long nights without him but also of the agony of a Force-bond long separated. 

She just hoped he would be around for the next few weeks. Her Death Star was ready to fire its cannon.

He ran his hand over her abdomen. "Hello, Anakin." He palpated different spots across her midsection as a smile lit up his face. "He's kicking."

"Yeah. He does that a lot when you're around." 

Luke smiled and massaged her stomach once more. "Hey, Little Boy, time to stop this. Let Mommy have some peace." 

Naluma nodded. "I don't know how you do that, but he sure does respond to your voice."

Luke moved his hands to her lower back and kneaded her tense muscles.