Chapter 4

The flames from the bonfire in the village square kissed the stars in the dusky sky. A soft breeze whistled through the trees, tinkling the wind chimes. Luke relaxed as the wind tickled the hairs on his neck. He listened to the birds hooting and chirping as they set the forest alive with song. This was the Force, in all its beauty, surrounding them, binding them together.

The squawk of a bird drew his attention to the village square a few meters away. A group of juvenile Ewoks danced in a circle beyond the fire while an Ewok granny hit a leather drum with her hand, marking the rhythm for the youngsters. On the opposite side of the square, his wife rested on a log bench after their strenuous climb to the tree-top village.

Ah, there she is. A warm smile broke out on Luke's face in recognition of his twin sister Leia.

The petite former senator of the Republic conferred with Chief Wicket. The small bearlike creature with brown fur and a white stripe waved his hands and nodded to his friend.

Amid Leia's tinkling laughter, Luke heard the precise clips of the golden protocol droid C-3PO translating the conversation.

The poor droid shuddered and turned his head from side to side each time an Ewok presented another sacrifice to him. "Oh, dear, please don't. Princ—Senator Organa, please tell them my programming does not allow me to impersonate a deity."

Leia laughed at him. "Tell them yourself, Threepio."

"I have. They won't listen to me." The droid waved his arms and shuddered. "I believe one of my circuits is overheating." He looked around the square. "Oh, Master Luke, please do something."

Before Luke could reach the party, Wicket waved his staff and sent his tribe away.

"Oh, thank the Maker!"

Luke chuckled as he crossed the catwalk. A tiny creature in Ewok garb intercepted him before he had crossed five meters.

The creature propelled into his arms. "Uncle Luke! Uncle Luke!"

Luke pulled back the hood, revealing a young girl in a suit of brown fur with a hood sporting round ears. After they exchanged a plethora of kisses on the cheek, he asked, "Is this really Breha? No, she's too big. Breha's a little baby."

"I grew, Uncle Luke." She extended her arm above her head before tugging on her hood. "And see, I'm an Ewok now." She huffed and narrowed her eyes before steeling her mouth. "I'm going to be a brave warrior like Chief Wicket."

A giddy smile broke out on his face as he rubbed noses with her. "Oh, you are, huh? And how did you learn about him?"

"Treepio told me all about the Ewoks." She leaned in close to his ear and whispered, "But I don't believe they are as fierce as he says." She brushed his dark-blond hair out of his eyes. "See? They gave me this fur suit, and Granny Eepra made me these dolls."

With sticky fingers, she pulled the bundles out of her pockets. She waved the bits of fur stuffed with pupagi needles and tied with leather thongs. "This one is Wicket." She held up a small tan figure with a staff. "And this one's Paploo."

The striped doll seemed just as wild as Luke remembered the actual Ewok. I wonder what ever happened to the speeder bike thief. He smiled at his niece and kissed her forehead before tipping her backward and pulling her back up to him.

"Whee! Again! Do it again."

He rotated her up and down a few more times. At the end, he tossed her into the air high above his head. When he caught her, he turned her sideways and blew raspberries on her belly where her fur coat had slid up.