Chapter 9

Leia lifted her head as Han ran his fingers down her arm

Leia lifted her head as Han ran his fingers down her arm. While he planted a trail of kisses on the back of her neck, with his other hand he entwined his fingers in hers.

She leaned back and felt his chest rise as he inhaled the sweet flowers braided into her hair. He smelled of sweat and earth and the potent Ewok brew. But it wasn't a bad smell, not at all.

In the distance, she could hear the party dying down. The drums had stopped, and she thought she could hear the Wookiee snoring even here. With the birds all asleep for the night, this distant catwalk seemed to be in a world of its own.

"Hard to believe it's been sixteen years," she mumbled. She traced her hand up his stubbled chin.  She'd never tell him this in a thousand years, but she liked him scruffy.

"Hmm?"

"Sixteen years since you proposed ... right here." She pulled his arms around her torso, the rough fabric of his jacket electrifying her skin.

His fingers brushed her chest, eliciting an exhilarating exhalation from her. "Do you ever wish we could go back and do it all over again?"

She could feel his body stiffen behind her. After a long minute, he whispered, "Yeah. Every day."

Leia knew how much it cost him to say it. Han rarely revealed his feelings. She knew each time he had dared to in the past, she had only used them to hurt him more. This was probably the bravest thing he had ever done for her—trusting her with his feelings once more after she'd burned him so many times before.

"Where did it all go wrong?" she asked.

Han sucked in his breath like he was ready with a sharp answer. Then he turned her around and stared into her eyes. "Do you really—" He shook his head. "I don't want to fight. Not tonight." He bent over and pulled her chin up.

When his lips met hers, it was like their first kiss on the Falcon so many years ago—or even that kiss right before the carbon freeze. His strong mouth met her softened lips, molding them to his, teasing her with his tongue, reminding her of the love they once shared—dare I hope we still share?

She pushed away from him, breaking the embrace. "I don't want—"

Han pulled her back to him. "Yes, you do. I can feel it in you, Leia. You can't deny it."

"Let me finish." She bit her lip to adjust her tone. That came out sharper than she had wanted. She pulled away from him and stepped against the railing. Looking him in the eye for once, she said, "I don't want a fly-by, Han."

He tilted his head. "Well, I wasn't the one who kicked me out."

Leia stepped closer. "You were the one who kept running away."

"You didn't need me." Han advanced on her, extending his arm as the ire rose in his tone. "You were married to your career. I was just your smuggler husband that no one mentioned in polite company." He moved away, taking a deep breath. "No one respected me. Not even you."