Chapter 7

Before Ben reached the river, he took a different trail, one that led into the forest

Before Ben reached the river, he took a different trail, one that led into the forest. Whispers on the breeze sent shivers up his spine.

Follow me. Deeper. Come. Just a little farther.

He had heard voices before, a raspy one he never wanted to hear again, but this one was different. This one even felt like he should know it. Something about in the Force was familiar.

He sensed it long before he saw it. A blue light glowed in the dense undergrowth.

The teen followed the ... footsteps? Are those really footsteps? 

Dislodging kavak plants and small trifoil flowers in his path, he steered his hover chair down the overgrown trail.

Deep in the forest, a pack of boar-wolves yapped as they moved through the trees. At first they barked calm, ranging yaps to keep the pack together. Then an alert. And, now, an all-out call to flight.

Ben surveyed the area. Benae stood guard ahead of him. To his left, the tall Jedi from Onderon  braced herself for the attack. She held her rifle so steady that not even a braid swayed in the breeze.

Here they come. What's she waiting for?

But the young woman stood strong, not budging a centimeter. The pack flowed around her, moving through the feathery kavak plants and leaping over fallen logs.

"Shoot!" Ben yelled.

Benae ignored him. Something bigger was coming. He could feel it. He was sure they could, too. The rest of the Jedi pushed through the undergrowth and stood in a defensive line.

He pulled back from the group about a meter and pulled out his lightsaber. He held the hilt low, ready to ignite it at a moment's notice.

A saber hummed to life on Ben's right. He snapped his head at the yellow blade and swallowed hard.

Great, Pilar. Don't take this wrong, but I'm not going to be the victim of friendly fire.

The disabled teen retreated further from the group.

With a low voice, Kalder said, "Warning shots only. Only engage if he won't leave."

"That thing's gigantic, Kalder," Kallay said. "It must be at least seven meters tall. He's hungry. Must have smelled our barbecue."

Always the empath, Kallay. Ben sneered. What was your first clue? The trees he's uprooting?

He activated his blue saber.

Purple, blue, green, and yellow lightsabers glinted in the twilight as the growling beast stalked closer. Zeke and Benae focused their rifles in the distance.

Kalder raised his blue blade. "On my mark, fire high and to the side. Three. Two. One. Mark." He sliced his lightsaber through the air as the rifles discharged.