Chapter 5

Leia rose from the swaying deck and tottered to Breha who whimpered in Naluma's arms. "Luke, what was that?"

"Ship of some kind."

"They've found us!" Leia clutched Breha to her chest before turning to run. 

Luke stretched forth his hands and closed his eyes. "No, Leia, wait. It'll be all right."

"Luke, if Snoke finds Breha—"

"Relax. Be at peace. It's not Snoke. There is no darkness. We're safe here." He took Breha from Leia's arms and set her on the planks before pulling his sister into a deep hug. "Nothing's going to happen to Breha. I promise."

Leia sighed in her brother's embrace. Even though they had disagreed about things in the past, he was her guiding light. Nothing could ever go too wrong when he was around.

When they finally separated, Leia sat beside Naluma and wrapped her arms around her in a half hug. Breha snuggled up on the other side of her aunt and traced designs on her stomach.

"How are you feeling, Naluma?" Leia asked.

"Better now." The young woman smiled in serenity.

Naluma exuded a tranquility Leia craved. Pregnancy was never marked by anything close to peace for her.

"You couldn't have paid me to climb those stairs when I was eight months pregnant." The senator's voice trailed off as she grasped Naluma's arm. "Thanks for coming."

Naluma winked at her sister-in-law while she rubbed Breha back. "That's what family does."

Leia sighed. Not every family member is here, but maybe that's for the best. Glad Ben's not here. No way I could hide who Breha really is with him. If we can just get through tomorrow . . .

Now the restless girl crawled all over the bench, sharing secrets with Anakin and listening for a reply.

The breeze picked up, clanging the wind chimes that dangled in the trees. Naluma grinned. "Besides, I'm glad I finally got to meet this lit—"

A large roar cut her off, followed by growls and moans from an approaching party. 

Leia's heart raced, but Luke grinned at her. She narrowed her eyes at her brother. "Wipe that grin off your face."

"You're jumping at shadows. Just breathe." He chuckled.

"Stop laughing. This isn't funny."

Another roar and Ewokese babbles drew their attention to the far catwalk. A shaggy Wookiee pounded into the square with Ewok scouts climbing on the giant. The almost three-meter tall furry humanoid slurred his growls as he shoved delectable barbecued meats into his maw.

"Great, Chewie! Always thinking with your stomach."

With a lurch from behind, the Wookiee staggered to the side. A familiar figure burst through the hordes of Ewoks marauding their favorite mascot. Han Solo halted at the edge of the Village Square. "Leia!"

Her heart skipped a beat, but she was not going to let him get off that easily. Not after the last time. She rested her hands on her hips and glared at the scoundrel she called her husband. "Look what the Wookiee dragged in."

Han Solo lowered his jaw. "Haven't seen you in that dress in some ..."

"Sixteen years, Han, and don't think that just because I'm wearing it I don't regret what happened the last time."

The bodice ties of the brown suede dress flapped in the breeze. The two braids that crowned her brow kept her long hair out of her flushed face.

She crossed the planks to the tall man with dark hair and a grizzled chin. Her eyes glistened as her mouth broke into an impudent frown. Rising on her tip toes, she reached for his neck and pulled his lips to hers.