Chapter Seven

A few hours after signing the tenancy agreement on the studio, I had drawn up several floorplans and designs for it. I loved drawing as much as I loved photography, so that was the fun part for me.

Ellie, on the other hand, was a big fan of shopping, so she had pretty much spent our entire business's savers account in the space of two hours. But I didn't really care, it's not like either of us were short on money in our personal lives, and we were about to take on a huge contract. Plus, after showing me all the things she had bought, I knew that the place was gonna look amazing.

In the morning, we were having somebody to come and clean up the front of the building, and put a business sign up for us. All in all, we were both pretty excited about the next few days.

Ellie and I were sat on the sofa together, watching some ridiculous reality TV show that she liked, looking over some more ideas for the studio, and drinking red wine, when there was a knock at the door. Ellie got up to answer it.

"Is she here?" I heard Adam's voice coming from outside the apartment.

"I don't think she wants to see you Adam, she needs some space." Ellie responded.

"C'mon Ellie, she my wife, you can't-"

"It's okay, Ellie," I interrupted, and started walking toward the door.

"I'm gonna run to the shop for more wine," Ellie announced, leaving straight away. I knew she didn't want to leave me alone with Adam right now, but she also didn't want to get involved, and I respected that.

With everything that was going on with the studio, Adam had completely left my mind for the majority of the day, so I had no idea what I was going to say to him.

I walked back to the living room, knowing he would follow me, and sat on the sofa. He joined me and stared into my eyes. We sat in silence for a while, until Adam decided how he wanted to start the conversation.

"Don't do this, Jay," he begged.

"Adam, we can't go on like this. I just don't think we're happy any more. I don't think we have been for a long time. It's just been so... uncomplicated since we first got together. I know that should be a good thing, but I just don't feel like we're a couple now. I feel like we're just roommates," I was as honest as I could possibly be. I had no reason to lie to him, he'd always done his best for me, and I loved him dearly. I'd give anything to actually be in love with him, but you can't force it.

"I can't be without you, Jamie." The life seemed to drain from Adam's eyes as he spoke, "I don't understand why you're doing this to me. Is there somebody else?"

I lost all the sympathy that I was feeling within seconds, and it was replaced with anger.

"Did you really just ask me that?" I yelled, and he looked shocked by my reaction. "Get out!"

"It was just a question, Jamie. I need to know why."

"It was not a question, Adam, it was an accusation. I have tried everything to make you happy. For the past eight months or so, you have refused to have sex with me, and you think I'm cheating on you?"

"I'm sorry, Jamie, I didn't mean it. It was a stupid thing to say, I just don't know how to handle this."

"Just get the fuck out." I said coldly. "I'll be around soon to get the rest of my stuff."

"Jamie, please, can we work this out?" He begged.

"No. I'm done." I stood up from the sofa and walked to the front door, holding it open for him. Ellie was sitting on a bench outside, waiting for me and Adam to finish talking. She must have been there for a while because she had taken a drink from one of the bottles of wine she had brought.

Adam walked out of the apartment slowly, seeing Ellie, and decided not to argue anymore. He gave me one more pleading look, which I responded to with an emotionless glare, and he left.

"So, how's your night been?" Ellie asked with an uncomfortable smile.

"Get your ass in here with that wine," I laughed.

We sat in the living room, drinking for a couple more hours. I told her everything that had been said between Adam and I, and she was supportive as always.

"Are we sure we don't want to kill him?" she asked, pouring another glass of wine. I just rolled my eyes and laughed in response. "Seriously, I know a pig farmer, it could be untraceable."

"How about we revisit that after the divorce?" I joked. "But anyway, enough about my failed marriage. What's the deal with Steve?"

"Who?" she asked, genuinely confused.

"The guy you were riding this morning, before I rudely interrupted."

"His name's Simon, and I met him on Tinder." she replied.

"No, honey, his name was definitely Steve. And I think you've had enough wine." I laughed.

"One more glass," she pouted.

"Do what you want, but I'm going to bed, we need to be down at the studio for nine tomorrow." I said, standing up and walking to what used to be my room, and would be my room again for the foreseeable future.

"Fine. Good night," I heard her shout from the other side of my bedroom door.

I took great comfort in my room being exactly the way I left it, and got straight into bed. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was asleep, without another thought of my soon to be ex-husband.