Chapter Fifty Five

"Jamie?"

I heard the familiar voice, but it sounded like it was far away from me, almost like an echo.

"Jamie, wake up."

I tried to focus on the voice, but it felt like my hearing was coming and going, like listening to waves crashing on the beach. My entire body felt numb. It reminded me of when I woke up in the hospital, high as a kite on morphine.

"Please, Jay. I'm so sorry."

I forced my eyes to open, and blinked rapidly, while the blurred figure came slowly became clearer.

"Alex?" I asked, confused. It felt like I was dreaming. Although I could see her clearly now, I felt like I was watching her through a TV screen.

I was brought back to reality when she pulled me up into a sitting position, and wrapped her arms around me. I forgot everything else for a moment, and held her tight, squeezing my eyes shut.

"Are you okay?" she asked me, and I opened my eyes, releasing her from my embrace.

I looked around, and realised I had no idea where we were. We were in a small room, which was only lit by a dim light bulb hanging from the ceiling. The faded blue carpet we sat on was rough, and covered with marks from what I assumed were spilled drinks, or I had hoped they were spilled drinks at least.

The only furniture in the room, was an empty bookshelf next to a boarded up window. It was covered in dust. There was a box in the corner of the room with two large bottles of water, and what I guessed was some kind of food.

The walls were painted magnolia, and there were clean patches of the wall, where photos were displayed. On the opposite wall to the window, was a black wooden door.

"The door's locked," Alex said, following my eyes.

"We're stuck in here?" I asked, starting to panic. Alex just nodded, and looked apologetic. "Where are we?"

"I have no idea, Jay," she answered, trying not to cry. "I stayed at Rico's after we argued, and I left early in the morning. I was coming back to you so we could sort things out. I took the shortcut through the park, and someone grabbed me. They injected me with something, and the next thing I remember is waking up here, and seeing you lying there."

"How long have you been trying to wake me?"

"I don't know, maybe a few hours," she said, "I don't even know how long we've been here. I don't know if it's morning or night, the window's boarded up on the inside, and I think there's a metal sheet on the outside. I can't see anything."

"Why is this happening?" I asked, running my hand through my hair.

"I don't know, Jay. I'm so sorry."

I put my arm around her, and pulled her close to me.

"No, I'm sorry. It's my fault we argued. If we hadn't, then you wouldn't have walked out, and we'd be at home now," I said. She just shook her head.

"I shouldn't have gotten mad with you, I get why you thought it was my dad. And I thought it could have been him too, after I sobered up and actually thought about it," she admitted.

"Alex, I don't think he would do this, though," I said.

"No he would, Jay. It wouldn't surprise me if he kidnapped you, but there's no way he would put me in here."

"That's reassuring," I joked.

"Who else could it be?"

I honestly had no idea how to answer her question, so I stood up, and started to look around. Alex watched, as I walked over to inspect the window. She was right, it looked like it was boarded up, inside and out.

I noticed a cctv camera in the corner of the room, but it seemed like it wasn't working, as there wasn't a light on. It was the same as the ones we had installed at home, and when they are turned on, a small red light flashes.

"What are we gonna do?" Alex asked, and I sighed.

I walked over to the door, and pulled at the handle, but of course, it didn't open. I banged my fists on the door, hoping to get some response from whoever was keeping us in here.

"Let us out, you fucking psychopath!" I yelled.

"Jamie, I don't think there's anybody out there," Alex said quietly. "Maybe that's a good thing, right now."

"How is that a good thing?"

"Think about it, Jay. It's more than likely the same person who hit you with a car. That last message we got said 'end it or I will'. We're not exactly prepared for a fight right now."

I realised she was right, and started to panic again.

"Help me move this against the door?" I requested, looking at the bookshelf.

"I don't think it's gonna help," she frowned.

"So what do you suggest Alex? You want to just sit here and wait for them to come in here and end us? I know a bookshelf isn't going to save us, but there's a good chance that it could slow them down. At least that would give us more chance of being found before we die." I snapped, and started to cry.

"You're right, baby. I'm sorry," Alex said softly, and wiped my tears away with her thumb. I stared into her eyes, and realised she was as terrified as I was, and I felt horrible for snapping at her.

She brought her lips to mine, only for a second, and then hugged me again.

"I'm so sorry I walked out on you," she whispered. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

"Let's move this bookshelf," she said, and walked over to it.

The bookshelf was heavy, and it took a lot of energy to move it. We were both weak, and only moved it a foot away from the wall before Alex stopped.

"Jay..." she whispered. I looked around the bookshelf to face her, but I didn't find her eyes. I looked back at the wall to see what she was looking at, and my eyes widened.

I turned back to Alex. She slid her back down the wall until she was sitting on the floor, and cried into her hands.

I looked at the wall again, and stared in disbelief at the green and blue sign that read 'Ryles Media'.