Chapter 7

She's joking right, she has to be joking.

This was all Zed could think. He had been dating Addie for over a year now, this must be one of her little jokes. Ones she said to momentarily scare him, then simply smile and laugh straight in his face, whilst forever savouring his confused, dumb expression. It must be. But if it is a joke, why is she sobbing so much? Why hasn't she said "just kidding" and cracked her usual, beautiful smile yet? Why does this all seem so...

So real?

Zed continued to look down at Addison, still bawling into his chest, the demoralised, heart - breaking look in her eyes and, all of a sudden, his mouth seemed to become dry, a pit began to form in his stomach and the truth seemed to also dawn on him, much like it had for Addison.

He also saw him, Addison and all their friends having a blast at the zombie mash. His and Bonzo's plan. How he had taken her to the Light Garden. The kiss, the look, and the time on the roof he knew neither of them would ever forget. Had he forgotten about protection? Of course he had, he thought, mentally face - palming himself. It was a passionate, impulsive night of stupidity between two teenagers, who at the time, believed that pregnancy wasn't even possible for them. How stupid could one zombie possibly be? 

Slowly, with fear now resonant in his eyes, he began to pull Addison away from his chest. Tears still rolling down her cheeks and the skin under her eyes looking red and swollen, seemingly covering up any evidence of a once happy and confident cheerleader, now all Zed seemed to see was someone who was clearly just as terrified about this as he was.

Zed then proceeded to close the door, with Addison locking the door behind him, and led Addison to the couch, both in complete silence. They both seemed to know the conversation they were about to have. Probably one of the most important conversations of their lives. As the girl and the zombie took a seat next to one another, waiting for one of them to break the silence. Maybe so they could get the conversation out of the way, maybe so they knew where to go from this, or maybe just to here the others voice and know that everything was going to be okay.

"I'm sorry" Zed stated, his voice filled with sorrow and a sense of regret.

Addison turned to him, surprized he would even say such a thing, quickly interrupting before he had a chance to continue.

"No, no, no, don't blame yourself." Addison replied, her emotions seemingly back in her control as she interlocked her hands with his.

Zed would have argued his case against Addie on any other day, in any other situation, but he soon figured out that Addison's episode at the door would have been a result of a mood swing. He didn't want to cause her any more upset than she was already feeling now, so he chose to move on to the next order of business.

"What do you want to do?" he cautiously asked. He already knew from the moment they met, that he would stand by Addison no matter what, through anything that the once divided society would throw their way. Whatever she decided, he would be there to support her, as he had done for almost a year now.

Addison, however, knew most teenage boys (Especially from the many dramas  and chick flicks she had consumed during her sick days) that once the girlfriend revealed that they were going to keep their baby, over time, the boyfriend would seem to dissipate altogether. It wasn't their problem, really, so why should they get involved? Even thought Zed had had said he loved her countless times, would he really choose to disappear in the blink of an eye?

"I...um...I think I...um...want to...k-keep it?" Addison stuttered and seemed to ask more than state to Zed, knowing what would happen next. "you don't have to stay if you..."