Richie Request

_milevens_eggos_

"So, as you can see, the place is definitely big enough to house two families," Mr. Hallorann said, gesturing to the interior of the fairly large hotel. "And you'll never have to leave during your stay, the kitchen is fully stocked and ready with almost any food you can think of."
He looked at Y/N, trying to make the kid feel welcome and asked," what's your favorite food?"
She shrugged. "Pizza."
He chuckled. "Well, don't worry, we've got plenty of that."

He turned back and went back on explaining the kitchen to the adults while Y/N and the other family's son trailed behind, both bored as ever.

They hadn't said a word to each other yet, it'd be too awkward if they did. She dug her shoe into the carpet, avoiding talking or looking at anyone as much as she could.
As Mr. Hallorann was leading the parents out of the large kitchen, he turned to Y/N and Richie. "You kids wanna stay here while I show them the rest of the place?"

The boy nodded, but Y/N didn't say anything and just went with him. "You can stay here," he said gesturing to a small table. "There's stuff in the fridge over there." Y/N and the boy say down across from each other, staring at the table.
The only noise was the buzzing of the refrigerators.

As she was staring at the table she thought to herself I am so hungry.
He lifted his head up and sighed. "Oh, me too."
Her head jerked up. "How did you hear that!?"
He tilted his head and smiled slightly.
Hear what?
Her mouth was hanging open slightly. How did he say that without speaking?

"This is nothing new for me. I'm just sayin'," he said.
She pointed at him, her brows furrowed. "How did you do that? And how did I hear it?"
Hear what?
"Stop doing that!"
He laughed and pushed his chair back. "I'll tell you all about it," he said as he went towards the freezer.
"It might be a little strange, but all you need to do is accept," he said, pulling a pint of ice cream out of the freezer," is that you have a gift."
Her eyes followed him as he dug through a drawer and pulled out two silver spoons. He put them on the table and pryed the ice cream open.
"What kind of gift?" she asked, leaning forward in her chair.
"Weird to explain. It's kind of like clairvoyant, ya know?"

"Predicting future events?"

He put up a finger, smiling slightly. "That's the weird part. Not just future events, but past as well." He read her face and nodded, saying, "yeah, that's the weird part."

Y/N picked up a spoon. "Is there anything else I should know about this gift of mine?"
Before he could even get a word out she stopped him with a hand. "No, no, don't tell me yet. What I want you to do," she said taking a scoop of ice cream, "is to explain how you found out about your gift."

"My grandmother told me. I was really young at the time," he started as he watched her eat. "Me and my grandmother could hold entire conversations without ever opening our mouths," he said with a distant smile.

"She called it Shining."

"Shining?"

"It's what you and I have. Predicting past and future events, and probably the best part if you happen to meet another person with this Shine - you can talk to other people without actually saying anything. It's like telepathy."

"Telepathy?" she said through a mouthful of chocolate. "You got it." He began to dig into the ice cream as well. "Would I be able to practice it?" "Of course you could. You have a while. And I mean a long while," he scoffed.

She set her spoon down. "How long are we staying here?" "Weren't you listening?" he said looking up at her. "Five months."
She instantly stopped chewing and looked at him like he was crazy. "Five months?"
"Until winter is over. My dad needs his "isolation" to work," he said making air quotes.

"No offense, but your dad is kind of creepy." He shrugged. "None taken. Why are you here?" She shook her head. "No idea. Um, do you know anyone else - besides us, of course, and your grandma- with a Shine?"

He took another scoop. "Yeah. Mr. Hallorann." She nearly choked on her ice cream. "And how could you possibly know that!?"

"I could feel it. That, and he told me where this ice cream and the spoons were while he was talking to our parents." "How-" He threw his hands up. "I told you. Clairvoyant."

She didn't say anything else to him. "And that's exactly how I knew your name." She set her spoon down. "Alright, that's it. I'm leaving."
"What!" She pushed her chair back. "It's not like I wanted to know!" She stopped. "I could teach you how to use it, how about that?"
She was silent before she scoots her chair closer to the table again. "It's still weird," she mumbled.

"You ready?" She nodded. "Yup."
"Okay. We'll start out slow. Just close your eyes. Concentrate on me and think about what my name is. Don't think too hard, though."

"Okay." Closing her eyes she concentrated on the boy sitting in front of her, her mind fixated on him, and only him.
Her eyes moved under her lids as she saw distant flashes of images. She didn't hold it for very long as her mind eventually wandered to the noise of the refrigerators.
"I lost it," she sighed.
"Don't be disheartened, nobody gets it on the first try. So, try, try, try."

Closing her eyes again she concentrated on his mind. "Ooh, I'm feelin something!" She smirked and loosened her fixation slightly.

"You- your name... your name is......" He nodded even though she couldn't see.
A moment later she got it.
"Your name is... Richard," she said opening her eyes with a smile. "Spot on, Y/N." He stuck out his hand. "But call me Richie. Everybody does." She shook it. "Nice to meet you, Richie."

She squinted at him for a second. So, talking works like this? He nodded. Exactly like that. "Okay," she said. So, I got a question for you. Why are you helping me? He shrugged. 

"I don't know, I guess since we're gonna be around each other for so long, I thought you might as well know more about your gift. Ya know, one Shiner to another," he winked.

So, in case you couldn't tell, this one shot was based off The Shining and this vine.