The Walrus - Charlie

So, now that you're all caught up...

        "Stop it!" I hissed, planting my feet firmly on the ground in the hopes of stopping Jess from going any further.  She froze for a minute, looking back at me like there was something wrong with me.  "We're gonna get caught!"

        She grasped my wrist tighter in her own, and led me forward, down the long corridor.  "Yeah, if you don't shut up we are," she replied.

      I continued to trudge along behind my older sister, scared out of my mind.  I've never done anything 'bad' before.  Does sneaking 'backstage' count as something bad?

        I've decided sneaking backstage does, as a matter of fact, count as bad.

        Suddenly we stopped short.  Jess was hissing in my ear, "Don't say a word.  Act like you belong here."

        I had an out-of-body experience as I walked past Cub Koda from Brownsville Station.  I could smell him.  Oh my God.  "C'mon!" she hissed, dragging me along.  He nodded in my general direction with a smile.  I waved stupidly.

        "Jess..." I breathed.  "Cub Koda just winked at me."

        "Great," she said, not really listening.  We continued walking until we came to a series of doors.  The backstage area was surprisingly empty.  It was weird being in a dark, empty high-school.  The long, white-brick hallways were a bit ominous and scary, but I was glad there weren't any more people.  Until I heard the click of footsteps and laughter, that is.  Jess heard them too.  "Shit," she said.  I wonder if she regrets her decision.

        She scanned the many doors, debating which to choose.  The first one she tried was locked, as was the second and third.  "C'mon," she hoped, turning the handle to the fourth.  It slid open with ease.  Jess sighed in relief and rushed inside.  "Charlie!  Get in here!" she whispered.  I was frozen.  There he was.  There they were.  Aerosmith.

        Jess apparently didn’t realize I wasn’t following her, and that I was literally frozen in my tracks.  She shut the door behind her, and I heard a little gasp as she realized too late that she was alone and I was locked out.

        I’m so dead.

        I flattened myself against the wall, trying the handle a few times.  It didn’t move.  Shit.  Maybe if I stay close enough to the wall they won't notice me.

        I squeezed my eyes shut, as if I couldn’t see them, then they couldn’t see me.  Act like you belong.  Yeah, I don’t think that’s possible.

        “Yeah, I’ll be in in a minute,” said a raspy voice.  I didn’t open my eyes.  I felt the whoosh of air as they walked past.  But someone stopped.  Right next to me.  I peeked through my right eye at who it was.

        Oh my God.  It’s the lead.  He tries the door handle, either ignoring me or not noticing me.

        No, he sees me.  He’s looking at me.  Oh God help me.  He stopped trying the handle, muttering a swear word under his breath.

        My terror on my face was apparent.  He looked at me straight on.  “Hello,” he said slowly, unsure.

        I couldn’t breathe.  I knew this was a bad idea.  I knew it!  I glance at the door, hoping Jess will come save me.  She doesn’t.  Looks like I gotta do this one myself, then.  I try to say ‘hi,’ but a rush of air comes out.