All Right - Nicky and Steven

New Year's Eve, 1974

//Nicky\\

"They say it's your birthday!" Charlie and Steven sang drunkenly for the millionth time.

        "Na na na na na na!" Brad and Joey sang the guitar part.

        "It's my birthday too, yeah!" Charlie and Steven continued.

        "Na na na na na na!"

        I watched Tom grinning smugly, as it was his birthday.  I watched Joey and Brad giggling.  I watched the glee on Charlie's face; how absolutely happy she looked next to him, clutching his hand and leaning in to him while they sang.

        I don't know why I agreed to come.  I guess Tom might've been expecting some sort of birthday present from Marky or Jimmy or Danny or something maybe, but then again perhaps they like me.

        They sliced the cake and handed out pieces.  It was vanilla.  But it had a greenish tinge.  Did I mention that they asked me to make it?

        Anyway, after the cake was pretty much gone, and everyone was... Relaxed, if you will, they turned on the TV.  And then we waited.

        Everyone was already drunk from Tom's birthday celebration (we were at a bar, but the employees made us go home), and add onto that the fact that it's also New Year's Eve...

        It was only the six of us (that Joe Perry guy isn't here and neither is his girlfriend), but it felt like a massive party.  Everyone was drunk off their rockers and Charlie and Steven kept kissing.  Too bad I'm her ride home; I'd totally rather be in Woonsocket with my other friends right now.

        But, when it all comes down to it, I'm happy for her.  Yes, Steven's got another girlfriend, named Julia, but she basically means nothing.  He'd merely feel bad for breaking up with her.  And I guess she's a good fuck.  I mean, not that I would know or anything... I'm only guessing...

        Anyhow, nothing rings in the new year like watching your best friend make out with a scheming, cheating liar.  But they're in love.  She's the one he really wants to be with.  Really, she is.  I just need to learn to accept it.

~~~~~~~~

--

~~~~~~~

//Steven\\

"Five!" everyone shouted, standing up and staring at the TV.  They were broadcasting live from Times Square.  "Four!" they yelled.  I pulled Charlie closer to me.  "Three!"  Silently, I resolved to promising myself that I'd only have one girlfriend from now on.  "Two!"  And that girlfriend would be Charlie.  "One!"

        I put my arms around her waist tightly, dipping her down like they do in those fancy salsa dances.  I pressed my lips to hers, deciding that the first thing I wanna do in nineteen seventy-five is make out with my girlfriend.  And I did just that.

        And when that was finished, whilst we still were receiving a round of applause, I raised my bottle of beer to the sky and drunkenly proclaimed my love for Charlie.  "To the best girlfriend anyone could hope to have!" I nearly shouted.  And then she stepped close to me, placing her hands on my chest.

        "I love you, baby," she whispered.

        When is this party over?  "I love you more."  She smirked against the kiss, biting her lip as she pulled away.  No, seriously: When is this party over?  Everyone needs to leave.  Now.  Everyone except Charlie.