My House - Nicky

What the fuck?  When I called her last night she clearly said that she like to go on another date.  So I show up to her house and her mom answers the door and I say, " 'Sup, missus T.  Where's Charlie?"

        And Charlie's mom was like, "Hi, Nicky."  She seemed disappointed.  "Charlie just left for dinner; she should be back soon."

        So then I said, "Cool," and stepped inside.  From their pantry I grabbed some peanut butter crackers––just because I'm allergic doesn't mean that I don't like peanut butter––as well as an orange Popsicle from the fridge.  From there I went outside, climbed the tree planted at the foot of their driveway, and awaited Charlie's return.

        Two and a half fucking hours later, an unfamiliar car pulls into the driveway.  I had gotten bored and proceeded to giggle my ass off as a smoked a million joints.  I thought the car was one of Jessie's friend's cars.  So this guy stepped out after like ten minutes of idling–I didn't immediately realize who he was–and ran over to the other side of the car.  Out stepped Charlie.  They looked at each other for maybe a second and then Charlie's back was against the car and they were kissing.

        Kissing.

        Like, not, Oh that was a fun first date thing, but like, Oh my god, if my mom weren't home...

        So as they walked down the path to go inside (his hand was way too close to her ass, may I just say), I hopped down from the tree and stumbled home.

        My dad wouldn't let me use his Firebird and Harry never let me use his car and my mom did whatever Harry did, so...

        There I was walking.

        When I had left Charlie's house to sit in the tree, Mrs. T had said, "I'll bring Charlie over when she gets home," because apparently Mrs. T thought I was going home.

        I said, "Whatever," and went down the driveway.  She shut the door before he saw me climb the tree, so she thought I had actually left.

        So then I really was at home.  After stepping around bird shit and being dive-bombed by my father's doves, I made it to the living room where I said, "No business tonight, Harry?"

        And Harry (my mom's boyfriend) replied, "Bank's closed."

        Then I said, "Whatever," and climbed the stairs.  Harry owns a strip club.  Though no one knows it (except me) and he denies everything.

        My mom was doing laundry.  When I stormed past, she asked, "Nicky, do you smell that, honey?"

        I rolled my eyes and muttered, "No, Mommy, it smells like nothing."

        I need more air freshener.  Now.  But I've got no cash.  And there's no way I'm not gonna smoke.

        So I slammed my door, but I didn't turn on my electrocuting thingy because I knew Charlie would be here any minute.

        I lit yet another joint and flipped angrily through an old Creem magazine I was actually using for rolling paper because, once again, I ran out.  But I wasn't reading.  I was staring st the door.

        And then Charlie came in.  She acted all innocent.  So I let her have it.

        But she killed me.  Broke.  Me.  In.  Two.

        She said she loved him.  Twice.  And then she never said she actually wanted to be with me.

        Which is why I now lay on my back in the floor, fucked up and strung out.