Chapter 2

Hailey came back downstairs with a relieved and somewhat happy look on her face. Mother had just finally fell asleep, and she was now in her own room. For the first time in seven hours there was going to be some peace in this place.

I happily turned on the television, and it was on the evening news. They were at that moment talking about Georgevill's Animal Shelter saving fourty-four different animals from some idiot in the country. Hearing the sounds of kitties on the news, my cat Popeye opened her eyes and looked at the television, mewing back at the television.

They then stopped talking about the cats and went to some commercials about some pizza place in the middle of town. Hailey sat on the couch next to me and turned down the television.

"Thank god your Mom is finally asleep. I was about to get a headache from her screaming, wailing, and sobbing." Hailey said, and I nodded in agreement.

"I know right." I commented, as the news came back on, now talking about the weather.

"Yeah. How have you lived here with her for the past five years and not go mad yourself?" Hailey asked, looking at the news.

"Easy, cats are the best companions. That, and the fact that the only thing she isn't paranoid about is me." I explained, and she nodded.

For a minute there was silence as the news changed from weather to the town's sports. Since the most sports that we had in our town was high school there really wasn't that much, and our high school team wasn't that well. So, it was always painful watching it.

"What actually happened the night that Ray died?" I asked, and Hailey looked at me, almost shocked that I had asked something like that.

"It is hard to explain, for me now it has become a lot of a blur to me, even if it was a day ago. Yet there was something weird and yet random that he said. Give him three days and his death something weird would happen. Day one the victim would be lost, the second abandoned, and the third do insane. I still haven't gotten it." Hailey explained, and gave a small laugh. "Then again, I also haven't gotten the chance to."

"Sounds weird, but wasn't he insane at the time? Could it just be something random?" I asked, and Hailey nodded.

"More than likely, but you never know.." Hailey sighed, getting up from the couch and going into the kichen, pouring herself the remnants from the pot of coffee.

I sat there slouched on the couch as they went to commercials yet again. At the moment I was not paying attention to what they were talking about, and Popeye was fast asleep on my lap.

Hailey came back and stayed totally silent, drinking the coffee quickly.

"Breaking news as of five hours ago Jill Banxton was reported missing. Last that people say that she was seen was at Georgeville High. She is 5'5, has fair skin and long red hair. People say that both Jill and one of the teachers were acting weird that day." One of the news reporters said, causing me to stare at the television in shock. "If you have any kind of information of anything that has happened between Jill or anyone else please call 856-852-3369."

I sat there in shock, and Hailey looked at me.

"Is there anything that you know about that?" Hailey asked, and I nodded, feeling like I might want to kick myself in the ass. I should have said something, that might have stopped this.

"She was acting weird when she walked into Mr. Fairbanks' class today." I said, and Hailey paused.

"Mr. Fairbanks? You mean the fifty year old with the brown hair and smirk?" Hailey asked.

"Yeah." I said, and Hailey gasped.

"What?" I asked, and Hailey looked at me.

"Let's hope your Mother doesn't get wind of this. Dammit if she does we are all so doomed!" Hailey said, finishing her coffee and turning the channel.