Chapter 5

You didn't want to disturb Viggo, as he had been resting all day. Instead, you went for a flight on Amethyst outside the nest in the evening breeze. Sclera too, followed you, doing barrel rolls and complicated twists and turns in midair, which Amethyst mirrored. You still couldn't help being astounded at how Viggo had managed to somewhat train Sclera. After numerous encounters with this incredible dragon, not even Hiccup seemed to have managed to tame it, yet Viggo had done just that in less than a day. 

As you continued to fly, it began to drizzle slightly, and then rain more definitely. Looking above, you could see large, menacing cumulonimbus clouds, that lit up with streaks of lightning at alarmingly frequent intervals. It was getting dark anyway, and the last thing you wanted was to get caught in a storm. Amethyst began turning round to head back to the nest. You remembered how much she hated storms. Sclera, however, was not at all unnerved by the intimidating claps of thunder, but instead flew directly towards the storm.

'Well, that does make sense.' you thought to yourself, "The Skrill gains it power from lightning.'

"Err, Stop! Come back! Sclera?!" you shouted out in his direction, "Please?" Of course, your orders were completely ignored, which didn't surprise you one bit. What did surprise you was when Amethyst darted after Sclera, as he disappeared into the dark clouds.

"Amethyst, what are you doing?!" Wasn't she afraid of storms? Or at least she had been last time, and you couldn't see any way she could had overcome such an acute fear so quickly. Despite your thoughts, she continued to fly determinedly, until you were engulfed by the clouds, and looking around frantically for Sclera. Hearing a faint roar, Amethyst shot after it dodging small streaks of lightning along her way. You felt her physically shake beneath you at a loud thunderclap. You patted the back of her neck to soothe her. Still, she flew on persistently. Just then, a large bolt of lightning struck just ahead of you, a mere few inches from Amethyst's snout. Startled and unsettled, she jolted backwards and lost her balance in midair, the relentless rain only adding to her confusion.

"Amethyst!" you shouted, as your dragon plummeted downwards. You had now broken through the bottom of the storm clouds, and were headed straight for the violently rolling sea. You knew swimming wasn't exactly your strong suit, as you saw the threateningly choppy waves rising and falling beneath you. A few meters before you would have hit them, Amethyst spread her wings wide, skimming the surface of the ocean with her tail. You could hardly see through the rain, which the winds were now blowing in your eyes, blurring your vision, but Amethyst seemed to have somewhat regained control. She came to land on a rocky ledge, a little way from the ominous rumble of the thunderstorm.

"Phew, that was lucky." you said. You turned around to see where you had landed. It seemed to be a small, rocky island that was not in any way unique to most of the island in the Archipelago. There was a small, rugged tunnel that lead into the main mountain on the island that stretched from the ledge you stood on. Looking around, it didn't look particularly special, except that...there! You saw it! On the wall of rock you could see something had been engraved into the rock. It looked old, ancient even! Taking a step closer, you examined it carefully. There were markings, but not any that looked familiar. Next to them there were illustrations.  They looked like...dragons! Some of them you recognized, but others you did not. You distinguished a Skrill, a Changewing and even a Night Fury among others. You ran your fingers over them, wondering who had done this and when. You were sure there must be more within the tunnel, and you felt the urge to explore the entire island while you were here. Who knew what you could find? Yet that would be stupid now. It was almost completely dark outside, and the storm had blocked out the moonlight. You could hardly see the engraving here, let alone deeper into the dark tunnel. You decided if you wanted to find out more, you would have to return to this island in the daylight. Maybe then you would stand a better chance of deciphering whatever you had found and more...