Chapter 16

"Morning." you heard from behind, as a voice managed to penetrate through the layers of sleep. Your eyes were still closed, and you had no intention of moving yet.

"I don't remember you being next to me when I fell asleep." you heard the playful voice continue, whilst gently rubbing your shoulder.

"I was cold." you yawned, shrugging the hand off your shoulder, still not bothering to open your eyes. You couldn't remember the last time you'd slept this deeply, perhaps it had something to do with the  fact that being close to Viggo made you feel safe. Either way, you didn't want it to end just yet, you were still tired.

"It's dawn." the voice reminded you, "You getting up?"

"No..." you muttered, trying desperately to go back to sleep.

"Suit yourself." the voice behind you took a breath, and suddenly the warmth against your back was gone. Confused and cold again, you squirmed into a sitting position, rubbing your eyes.

"Ah, I see sleeping beauty has decided to wake up at last."

"That was mean." you remarked, hugging your knees, with cold, and looking to the ground in mock anger.

"Was it, now?" you heard Viggo crouch down beside you. "What do you want, then?"

"You." you muttered, not expecting much, but you were instead clasped by two arms which stretched over your back. At once, all you cold sensations vanished, and Viggo's warmth made you shiver at the sudden change of temperature. You hugged him back, just enjoying the feeling of a fire kindling in you heart, and the energy that now seemed to seep through your body, which had been cold and tired merely moments before. Everyone on Berk had always considered you a force to be reckoned with, an uncontrollable, headstrong warrior, but something about Viggo just seemed to calm your restless energy. You clung on to him, not wanting to ever let go. You hadn't realised how much you needed him now. He was the only person you could depend on now.

"Better?" he asked, pulling away. You chuckled slightly.

"Yeah." you answered, your body still buzzing with the warmth of his touch. He shook his head with a tight-lipped smile.

"What?" you questioned.

"The things you do to me..." he murmured across the ashes of the now cold fireside.

You tilted your head.

"As in good?" you asked.

He chuckled. "Oh yes, very." then turning his gaze to you, "You really are something..." he added, a wave of wonder in his voice. You couldn't help but smile. Perhaps now would be a good time to tell him about the letter.

"Can I speak to you about something?" you ventured.

"Certainly."

"That letter. I opened it last night. It was bothering me, and I couldn't sleep anyway, so I read it through and, well, now it's bothering me more than ever."

"Oh..." he breathed. Was that a subtle hint of disappointment you detected in his voice?

"Here, you can have a look it if you like. It'll make more sense if you do." you said, handing him the parchment. He read it carefully in silence.

After a few minutes of reading the letter over, you questioned him.

"Well?"you were genuinely interested to see what his thoughts were on the matter. You knew what yours were, but his opinion would hopefully help you decide how to discuss it with him. Would this be a conversation of persuasion and a collaborative planning session?