Chapter 26

"Good luck, my sister." Vulcan said solemnly. Confusion gripped you, why did this sound like you were parting?

"What do you mean? Surely you're coming too?"

Vulcan shook his head, as if he had anticipated the situation.

"I'm afraid I cannot." he replied.

"Well, why not?" you asked a little impatiently.

"I can't leave this island!" he snapped. "Besides," he continued more softly, "I believe this is something you alone are destined to do." You had gathered by now that Vulcan wasn't the type to openly display affection, which startled you all the more when he took you in his arms and hugged you tightly.  You hugged him back, seeing Viggo over Vulcan's shoulder as you did, patiently standing a few meters away, and looking blankly at the sand.

When Vulcan pulled away, you continued holding on to his hands tightly. At the same time, he slipped a dragon eye lens into your palm. You were about to ask what it was for but, seemingly reading your mind, he simply said:

"You'll need it."

You nodded.

"In the letter he wrote me," you said a little shakily, "our father said he loved us. " there was a pause. "I just thought you should know."

"I know." Vulcan smiled, "Einar was a good man. Do this for him."

"I will." you replied, turning to mount Amethyst's saddle.

"And Y/n?"

"Yes?" you said, gripping the familiar handles beneath the leather saddle.

"I suppose Amethyst and Sclera have taught me that friendship can arise in the most unlikely places." You smiled, as he finally admitted what you knew he could no longer deny. "Not unlike you and Viggo." he added. He turned to Viggo, who was still stood on the sand. The two shook hands, and exchanged a few  words you couldn't quite catch. They then shared glances of mutual understanding, before Viggo made his way to Sclera's saddle.

Then you were in the clouds, flying away from the island and on towards the hidden world. There was a strange sting in your heart - one you hadn't experienced in a long time - the sort of emotion only familial love could stir within you.

"How's Sclera?" you asked, glancing sideways to see the Skrill who was gliding beside Amethyst, using the updrafts to minimize the beating of his wings.

"Healing well." Viggo replied, "He's certainly not in any pain, just a little stiffer than usual."

"I never asked," you began, "What exactly were you doing while I was gone?"

"I decided to spy on the trappers." he said, "I overheard them saying that they were planning on returning to the gateway of the hidden world."

"But, surely they can't open it?" you asked, panic rising in your throat.

"Drago is more resourceful than you might think. I don't know what he intends to do, but I doubt he would return to the gateway without some sort of plan."

"We need to get there - now!" you said, Amethyst accelerating through the clouds so quickly that you had to narrow your eyes and grit your teeth.

"There it is!" you said, pointing to the easily-recognizable whirlpool-like structure in the middle of the sea.

"And here they come!" Viggo said, his voice taut with alarm, as he pointed towards a convoy of ships approaching from the south.

"Dragon trappers! We have to stop them before they get to the gateway!" you shouted.