Chapter 20

You landed on the nearest tip of the island, and looked out at the long stretches of land that unfolded ahead of you. Looking down the main island you were standing on, you could see it was connected to a few others, via narrow fingers of sand or shingle. It was difficult to tell just how far the islands stretched, as the occasional rock formation or forest clouded your judgment of  the precise size of the island. From the air, it had looked vast -  day's trek, at least, from end to end. Of course, it would have been much easier to survey the island from the skies but, given the density of the foliage, as well as the fact you weren't even quite sure what you were looking for, you figured you would be better to go on foot. Amethyst trotted by your side, not letting her guard down for a second.

The dragon eye lens had simply directed you to these islands, but had given you absolutely no indication of what you should be looking for now that you were here, let alone where you should begin looking.

"So, you reckon we should just scan this island from top to bottom?" you asked Amethyst.

Amethyst gave a nod of approval, followed by a growl that told you she was uneasy about this island. You clenched your fists, looking carefully around. You would both be on your guard, that was for sure. It was amazing how you could read precisely what she was telling you, and she knew exactly what you were thinking too, like the two of you were somehow connected beyond the usual scope.

After walking down the initial stretch of beach, the vegetation began to thicken, and an overgrown forest loomed before you. For an island so far north, you couldn't understand the thick vegetation, it certainly wasn't normal. It was as if nature itself was trying to conceal something from the rest of the world. Unruly ferns and matted branches that intertwined with each other, and were riddled with moss, making them look ancient, as they stretched out like reaching claws from the body of the forest. You could see the thick, bony roots of trees disturbing the ground, and bursting like corpses through the sand, which was now turning to thick soil. It was useless trying to peer any further into the depths of the bushes, as it was too dark even see a few meters into the trees. The more you scanned your surroundings, the more sinister they appeared, but you hadn't traveled all this way for nothing - you were getting to the bottom of this, and that was that.

"Stay close." you muttered to Amethyst, as you stepped into the trees, pushing through a layer of looming branches and cobwebs. 

'There must be dragons in here.' you thought to yourself.

Just to make yourself feel better, you took your knife from your belt, and unfolded it to its full length, to form a sword. You had fixed the mechanism that had jammed on the fairly lengthy journey to the island, and you couldn't help by feel assured, feeling the weight of the blade in the familiar grip of your hand.

As you trekked through the trees, the only sounds you heard were those of your own footsteps. You kept looking to Amethyst, checking to see if anything had alerted her keen senses. She remained constantly vigilant, but never alarmed.

'So far, so good.' you thought to yourself. Although, deep down, you really hoped you'd at least find something soon, whatever that might be. You were going by the light that a small amount of Amethyst's acid could expel, to just about light up the path ahead of you, the green hue of light adding to the menacing atmosphere that surrounded you. The sun had been completely blocked out by the impenetrable canopy of interlocked branched above your head, which were heavily armed with leathery leaves to banish the light from existence. Although you couldn't see the ground, you tried to work out what your surroundings were in a little more detail, paying close attention to the feeling under your boots as you walked. Despite the unkempt nature of the forest, you couldn't help feeling that the earth beneath your feet had been trodden on before - that someone else had been here, perhaps, and not too long ago. Could it be a dragon? The trail in the leaves and twigs beneath your feet was wide enough for a dragon to have waded through here. But there was no evidence of a large creature of any kind having entered the forest the way you'd come in... You decided to keep walking. Apparently, that was the only way you were going to find out anything.