twenty - phone call

you are calling "johnny" (1)
you are calling "johnny" (2)
you are calling "johnny" (3)
"johnny" accepted your call.

"hey john?" vienne didn't want to seem clingy, but the question was burning in her.

"what's up?" his voice was raspy, and she suspected she'd woken him up. heartache darkened her mood as she realized she was about to ruin his day.

"are you with london?" there was a serious tone in her words, and he seemed to hear it for there were no jokes that followed.

john was silent, "why do you, why do you need to- oh." his voice was low, soft. it scared her.

"john? are you still there?" vienne asked tentatively,  her eyebrows furrowed as she struggled to read what he was thinking.

"vee, the answer is yes," he said, and she wasn't sure if his voice had cracked or there was static in the call, "we both found people."

he thought she liked mason.

"but-" she stopped herself, biting her lip as she thought about the meaning of his words. she'd gotten what she had called for. her role as the fake girlfriend was done; he liked someone else

she wanted to tell him she didn't like mason, but what would that do? he liked someone else.

what came out of her mouth was, "never mind. you're right, we're both happy now."  

"yea, well. it was a good run." he chuckled, to relieve some of the tension that'd built up, "thank you though, vee. thank you for everything." his words were sincere, but laced with an emotion she couldn't place.

there was so much more he wanted to say, to ask her whether or not she liked him or not, if she was dating mason, and what she was going to say before she cut herself off.

"you're welcome, john. it was fun while it lasted."

"so, i guess i should go. london wants me to go shopping with her."

vienne couldn't help but wince at the name, "at the old centre by your house?"

"nah, i'm out of town, in boston. i decided to fly over and surprise her." in truth, he'd found out london was in boston after landing to visit his family, but vee didn't need to know.

"oh."  she was surprised at how fast two close friends could turn into strangers.

"well, goodbye john. talk later?" she talked quickly, a last minute attempt to hide the cracks spreading in her porcelain voice.

"yea, talk later." john coughed, followed by a sniff.

her finger hovered over the end call button for a while, before she finally pressed it.

you have ended the call.

you have changed "johnny" to "john."

-
a/n:
wrote this while listening to the misfits podcast and i couldn't stop smiling so this isn't as angsty as i wanted it