t h r e e

LUCE

HER FEET WERE SLAMMING against the tiles in loud thumps - echoing throughout the empty hallway

HER FEET WERE SLAMMING against the tiles in loud thumps - echoing throughout the empty hallway. Her breathing had begun to escalate as she finally reached the entrance of her school. 

With the loud cheers of another goalie being scored, Luce slipped out of the small college and towards her truck. 

***

A rush of excitement filled her as she walked up the steps to The Massey's Theater. Taking a seat in the back row, Luce grinned. 

She did it - she snuck out of Brayden's soccer tournament. She was going to get the chance to see the performance. 

Luce flickered her eyes throughout the theater as she watched people take seats. She admired its high ceilings and its marbled floors. Her eyes scanned the engraved art in the pillars and her eyes lit up when she recognized most of the musical records glittered on the walls. 

She tilted her head to get a better view of a particular record, when it got blocked by a pair of dark eyes. Their eyes met and she watched as his step faltered and he gaze up at her in shock. She felt a rush of energy run through her and her surroundings fade into a darker color. He seemed to be the only thing that had radiated a brighter color - leaving all her attention to him.

But just like that, the lights begun to dim to black and the dark pair of eyes camouflaged with the rest of the room. 

***

She was going to be late. She knew this was a bad idea. She glanced at her phone for the time once again and her insides began to squeeze. 

The tournament ends in five minutes. 

Luce practically ran out of the theater, but with all the people exiting she wouldn't have a doubt that she'll never make it on time. 

 "Excuse me-" she gasped,"-I'm sorry-" she squeezed through. 

She stopped as she finally got the view of her truck. Relief filled her and she sprint towards it . She was about to open the door when she heard a voice yell out, "Wait!"

Startled she tripped and fell to the ground with a yelp. 

"Jesus - are you okay?" Luce met face to face with dark eyes from earlier. They were filled with worry. 

She felt her skin heat up as he helped her off the ground. "I-I'm fine," she said. She noted his tall height - 5'9 ... maybe 6'1.