s e v e n

Pronunciation: RYE - LYN  

RYLAND  

SHE TIGHTENED HER GRIP on the sponge as she attempted to rid the stain on the booths table

SHE TIGHTENED HER GRIP on the sponge as she attempted to rid the stain on the booths table.  Soft strums of music reigned the background as finished the table. 

"Rye could you pick up the mug on table three?" her co-worker yelled as she scrubbed the dishes in the back. 

Rye gave a slight nod into her direction as she headed towards the direction of table three. She pulled out the tray she'd tucked under her arm and begun to fill it with crumbed filled plates and mugs. 

Rye had to take extra hours at work to help pay for her father's hospital bills. She didn't want to take out too much from her college savings - so she figured she may as well work the rest of the payment off. 

She never really brought it upon herself on why she took the obligations of the bills to herself. But then again she's always had to help pay the bills - she had to keep the roof above their heads and food on the plates. Her father never really paid any attention to how they always seemed to have all their essentials with his unemployment and drug payments. 

Then again Rye didn't necessarily say anything about it. Which really means that it's all on her. 

"Thanks Rye," her co-worker said as she quickly begun to clean them while drying another dish at the same time. 

"Y-you're welcome," Rye stuttered. She was about to pick up the broom when she heard her blackberry ring.  

"Ryland," Lara said worriedly. 

"W-what's w-wrong?" Lara never used her full name. 

"He woke up, honey - your social worker wants you to come here to the hospital to discuss the details with your lawyer." 

Her chest squeezed. "O-okay," she finally whispered. 

***

SHE SLAMMED THE grayish trunk and gently strapped the brown buckles.

"Nothing broken then Miss?" the taxi driver asked. They had hit a large bump on the road and Ryland had heard a crack from her suitcase.

She shook her head. And offered him a reassured smile and paid him.

"Have a good day then." Then he jumped into the car and drove away. Rye stared at the direction the car went. For some reason she didn't really want to go inside.

She was currently outside Brayden and Luce's apartment. Luce had moved in with him a few months after her her eighteenth birthday. It seemed it made sense for them due to the apartment being only a few minute drive to the community college they both got into.