Chapter Nine: Unfinished Souls

January 12th

Dear Diary,

Mum came into my room at seven-thirty today with the intent of waking me up to find that I was already dressed in an outfit Steven had chosen the previous day and sketching in the new sketchbook.

"How long have you been up?" She asked me.

"Six-thirty-seven, then stayed in bed for exactly eighteen minutes. I then opened my sketchbook and began sketching," I answered.

She sighed. "You should have been resting."

"I was," I answered. But not talking. Why should I? These are reasons she would never understand. "Then it was six-forty-five and I had to get up." I showed her the sketchbook. Quite a few pages were now filled.

"Are those all Steven?"

I nodded. "Different angles." I returned to sketching a closeup of his chiseled profile.

When drawing, I always started with the broad lines, the way a sculptor would begin, then worked in finer and finer details until my piece was complete. You have to think of your art as a whole, rather than separate parts; two eyes, cheeks, lips, nose, hair. There is one body. With drawing, you draw out a snippet of a soul.

Mum didn't bother me until it was time to leave.

I'm grateful. Otherwise, the drawing would never have been finished.

Sincerely,

Charles David Barnes