Chapter 11: The Seed

The Coven had so many interesting witches. Some wore simple gowns while others wore fancier dresses with delicate fairy wings. It reminded Akko of school fairs where students wore costumes. Maybe next time, she could have wings with her dress.

But where was Diana? They came together and she had to find her. Unfamiliar faces stared at her as she searched, making her feel nervous. More witches arrived and the hall was filling up. She bumped into someone. To her relief, it was a familiar face.

"Amanda!"

"Akko? What are you doing here?" asked Amanda who held her wrist. The texture of her clothes was strange, and when she looked closer, it was made of interwoven leaves.

"I came here with Diana. Have you seen her?"

"No, I haven't, but you shouldn't be here."

"But we got an invitation."

"That's not what I mean."

"Can you help me find Diana? I've been looking for her."

"I doubt she's here." Amanda took the clover from her boutonniere and lit it like a match. She looked around, her eyes squinting. "Diana? What's going on?"

"If we split up, we can search faster."

"No! Stay with me." Amanda's gaze was so intense that Akko tried to pull away but her grip was firm. Then she stared at the crowd. "What have you done?"

"I haven't done anything

"I haven't done anything... I think. I just got here," said Akko.

"I don't know what's going on but you should leave. Seelie don't like intruders." Amanda's hand tightened around her wrist and she began to walk towards the embassy entrance which was overgrown with vines.

To her surprise, the carpet turned into moss and was slippery, so Akko couldn't resist Amanda who was walking barefoot. When Amanda pushed her into a green car, she felt like a child struggling in a giant's grip. "Don't come to me," warned Amanda.

Akko tried to open the car door, but it was locked. When it arrived at the Cavendish estate, the door opened. Akko got out and it disappeared. She opened the manor's front door and rushed inside, only to step into Amanda's room in Luna Nova.

Faster than she could see, Amanda pushed her hard and slammed the door. "I told you to leave!"

Off balanced, Akko braced for the fall and hit her head, filling her vision with stars. Her eyes squinted against the morning sun shining through the curtains and her head was at an awkward angle against the headboard. She righted herself and sat up. Such a strange dream. Why was Amanda so upset? She supposed it was because she entered her room without knocking. Oh well, it was just a dream.

But the Coven wasn't a dream. Akko grabbed her pillow and began dancing with it, humming the waltz. Diana was so graceful and gorgeous. The last thought made her stop and she buried her blushing face into the pillow. She thought that they would all dance together with Amanda and the Morgians, but Diana left. Later, Rize pulled her aside to ask a favor.