Chapter 15: Caught Red Handed

Akko stared at the Diana's chair and sighed. Diana would be coming home late, so she had to eat lunch by herself. After lunch, she continued to study but around 3 o'clock, she decided to take a break with some flying practice. Diana had set up a course in the meadow behind the manor, so she set her watch to time herself. "Tia Freyre!"

The broom shot up into the sky and Akko screamed in surprise. In a panic, she said to herself, "Concentrate! Concentrate! Stop!"

The broom stopped its ascent, but her body kept moving up, so for a moment, she was hanging upside down. Then she started falling. Akko pulled the broom against her body and wrapped her legs around it. Suddenly, she began to slow down.

"Trying to fly to the moon?" asked a familiar voice behind her.

Akko looked back. "Amanda!"

Amanda held on to the stick closest to the fibers. "Where's Diana?"

"She'll be home late."

"You shouldn't fly this high without her."

"I wasn't! The broom just went whoosh!"

"Let's go down." When they flew back to the meadow, Amanda asked, "So what did you do?"

"I just said Tia FreyreeeEEEEE!!!" Her broom shot up into the sky.

Amanda caught her and they flew down. "Didn't you figure this out already?"

Her shoulders slumped and she gripped the handle with frustration. "I thought I did."

"Slabhra liathroid." The spell created a cord that attached itself to her broom while the other end of the cord was attached to a green ball. "Now try."

Akko spoke softer. "Tia Freyre." She floated just a bit.

"Yell this time."

"TIA FREYREEEEE!!!" The broom shot up but the cord held it no more than ten feet high.

"You're putting too much in. Do it 'softer', like that other time," said Amanda. "Just in case, you can use this spell to keep you down. The ball will roll behind you as long as you stay within ten feet from the ground."

"How do you say it?"

"Slabhra liathroid."

Akko repeated the spell until she could cast it properly. "Thanks, Amanda! I'm going to practice for a bit."

"Ok, I'll watch you."

Akko did the course several times, and then she noticed that Amanda seemed bored. "Hey, wanna play some cards?"

"What cards?"

"Just Shiny Chariot."

Amanda poked a thumb in the direction of her manor. "If you want to play, why don't you come over to my place?"

She had never been to Amanda's manor. "Sure! Just give me a minute to let Anna know."

"Ok."

Akko went in and told Anna that she'd be visiting Amanda next door then she went back to the meadow.

"Follow me closely and don't fly anywhere else, ok?" Amanda mounted her broom.

Akko nodded. "Nn!"

Even though she could see Amanda's manor from the meadow, they didn't fly straight to it. Instead, Amanda led her towards the front of the Cavendish manor then flew over the hill and forest. They didn't fly to the front door, but dismounted around the side of the manor. They walked around the garden to the front door. Amanda used a key and they got in.