Chapter 1

Katie was a freshmen in high school and her brother Matt, who was a senior, invited her to a party. One problem: Katie hated parties. Especially high school parties. Everything was always so loud. There were always so many people too, which meant mingling. She hated mingling. This also meant lots of popular people. She mainly avoided them when she could at school. Sometimes Matt would have friends over and she would shut herself in her room until they all left the premises.

She was definitely not popular; she was a freaking nerd for Christ's sake! Unlike her brother, who was smart but had tons of friends, she only inherited the first half and had little to no friends. She was very introverted at school and always confided in her computer to have fun by programming rather than going out with friends. She never made eye contact except with teachers, and ate lunch alone. The only person she'd ever talk to was Matt, but he would usually end up getting swept away by his other friends.

One faithful Friday Matt had had enough of seeing his sister all alone so he made a final decision. "Katie! We're going out tonight!" He said firmly. "Ugh where to?" She whined. "It's a surprise." He smiled slyly. Katie rolled her eyes, but was intrigued so agreed to go. "Wear something comfortable but nice." He advised.

Katie had a couple dresses, but mostly shorts and t-shirts; majority of her closet was green. She decided to go with a green tank top and denim shorts. She felt slightly uncomfortable with the shorts that  accented her curves, seeing as she usually wore sweatshirts and jeans, but the excitement of the surprise made her bolder. Her hair fell down to her lower back. "Maybe he's getting me a new game!" She happily thought. The new Mario Kart was coming out that night. "Matt must be taking me to buy it opening night!" She thought excitedly. She wanted to look nice for the momentous occasion, whatever it was.

They got in the car and Katie was given a blind fold. Matt knew if she knew they were heading to the biggest homecoming party of the year, she would never agree to go so he had to be sneaky. Once she was in the car there was no escape since he was her ride, but he wanted to be extra sure. Katie quickly put on the blind fold, now fully convinced that she'd be getting a new video game.

They drove for about 20 minutes when Katie started hearing music. "That's weird," she thought "it's 9:00 pm who's playing music that loud?" Then her stomach dropped. "Oh no" she said as the music got louder. Matt smiled. "Oh no no no no no NO" she yelled the music now outside the window. "OH YEAH!!" He said ripping off her blind fold. Light flooded her vision as she saw a house filled with light and teenagers. Lots and lots of drunk teenagers. "WHAT THE HELL MATT??!!" She shrieked. "SURPRISE!!" He smiled feeling accomplished. "WHY'D YOU BRING ME TO A PARTY OF ALL PLACES?!!HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME??!?!" She screamed. "You need to get out and meet some people Katie. You are going to go into this party, meet some people, and get a crap ton of numbers, OK?" Matt said firmly. "HELL TO THE NO! One: I don't like people. Two: people don't like me. Three: it smells weird. Four: I hate talking to people, you know that!" She said ready to list more. "Stop right there. You need to give people a chance to get to know you and you need to get to know other people too. Also, live a little! You're in high school now! You need to have some social life that's physical and not on a screen." Matt said. "You can't make me go. I'll sit here for the rest of the night. You can go, but I'm staying here." She said stubbornly. "You're right." He said. She poked her head up. "but I also thought you might say that. So..." he turned to the backseat and riffled through a bag. "I have a deal for you." He stated. "Like what?" She asked, curious. "You go to this party and ACTUALLY TRY to have fun, mingle, and make friends-" Katie frowned. "-and I'll give you....THIS!" He said whipping out the brand new Mario Kart game fresh from the store still in the plastic casing.

Her eyes lit up so fast. "OH MY GOSH I'LL DO ANYTHING!!!!!!" She screamed blowing out Matt's eardrums. "Well that worked a lot faster than I thought." Matt said laughing. "Okay, okay. I'll do it. You promise right?" She said to be sure. "I promise. Now let's go!" He said getting out of the car. "Oh boy" was all she thought as she opened the door and was hit by a wave of vodka.