II. Back From Hell, Homie

Hazel and I landed on the deck. Leo and Nico ran up to us, helping me as I slid off Arion's back. I fell to the ground, panting.

"What happened?" Leo asked. "How's Ezzy here?"

"I'm here," I said, breathing heavily, "because I got myself out of the Underworld. Aren't you happy?"

Leo stared at me. "I am. Hermana, you're different. What happened?"

I clutched onto Leo. "I went through hell."

"Hazel?" Nico asked. "What happened?"

"I met Hecate," Hazel answered. She told us her story up until I came out of the doorway.

Nico took Hazel's hand. "Hazel, you met Ezzy's mom. That's . . . that's not something that many demigods survive. Well, those who aren't children of Hecate. Demigods aren't usually the same. Are you sure -"

"I'm fine," Hazel said. "We should really be worrying about Ezzy. She was in hell. Do we have a First Aid Kit?"

Leo pulled out one from a cabinet and handed it to Hazel. Hazel kneeled down beside me and started patching up my hands.

"What if Hecate's tricking us?" Leo asked. "It could be a trap."

I took a breath, my lungs rattling. "It's not. My mom wouldn't do that. Not when the world's at stake."

"Ezzy's right." Hazel fed me some amazing tasting brownies. "If she was, she would've made the northern route tempting. It didn't. And we should trust Ezzy, right? Ezzy is the daughter of Hecate."

Leo pulled out a calculator. "It's . . . about three hundred miles out of our way to there. Then we'd have to backtrack. Didn't you say something about dwarfs and baloney?"

I hissed as Hazel applied some cream on my hands. "Dwarfs in Bologna. Bologna is a city. I guess there's treasure there."

"It's our best option." Nico helped me to my feet. "We have to make up for lost time and travel as fast as possible. Percy and Annabeth depend on us."

Leo grinned. "Fast? I can do fast."

Hazel wrapped my arm around her shoulders again. "Let's get you down to the infirmary. We don't want you dying on us, now do we?"

I laughed as Hazel helped me downstairs. "I made it through hell, Hazel. There's no way I'm dying from just a few scratches."

"Still." Hazel helped me into the infirmary. "You were in hell for too long."

I sat on one of the beds. "How long was I in there?"

Hazel scrunched her eyebrows as she wiped my hands. "A few days? Yeah, a few days. Two or three."

I hissed in pain when Hazel pressed too hard. "You're right. Too long. That place isn't the best vacation spot, if I may say. Too hot and way too many monsters."

Hazel glanced up at me, holding my gaze for a moment or two. "You're different. Your eyes are greener than they were."

"Really?" I looked into a mirror and Hazel was right. My eyes were more green than brown. "You're right again."

"I wonder how that happens," Hazel said. "People's eyes don't change like that."

I continued to stare at my reflection. "I think I know what it's from."

Hazel grabbed some cotton and started wrapping it around my hands. "Really? Did you get it from Tartarus?"

I nodded. "Yeah. There's a spirit that attaches itself to a child of Hecate. I was the lucky one who got it."

"How do you think it ended up in Tartarus?" Hazel asked.

I bit my lip. "I don't know. To get the spirit, I think that's the point of getting the spirit. Only a child of Hecate can get it. You have to fight your way through Tartarus and show you can control its power. I did that and now I have the Spirit."

Hazel stopped what she was doing and stared into my eyes. "Your mom said something about you coming back with something. She also said you'd help me learn how to control the Mist."

I stared at my bandaged hands. "I can do that. If Hecate wants it, then I'll do it."

Hazel finished with my hands. "I'm done. You should probably go to your room and rest. You've been through a lot since Rome. And Frank will probably tackle you when he sees you."

I remembered what had happened when I fell in. "Are you mad that he said that he loved me? Is it okay if I date him? Do you mind?"

Hazel shook her head. "No, I don't mind. Frank and I are on good terms and we talked about it. He loves you a lot and I can tell you two were meant to be. Don't worry about making me mad."

I smiled. "Thanks, Hazel. I appreciate it. You really don't mind?"

Hazel shook her head again and put her hand on my shoulder. "I don't. Didn't I say to not worry about it?"

I smiled. "Thank you, Hazel. I hope it doesn't bother you."

Hazel shook her head. "It'll be fine. Don't worry."

I got up. "If we're done here, I'm going to go to my room. I'm tired and I don't want to see anyone right now."

Hazel started cleaning up. "That's understandable, Ezzy. I'll see you in the mess hall?"

"Of course."

I left the infirmary and went to my room in the closet. I climbed into bed, everything suddenly hitting me. I trembled slightly in bed, tears forming on the edge on my eyes.

I buried my face into my pillow, trying not to cry. I knew it would be good for me to cry, but I didn't want to know. I couldn't let myself. Luckily, I fell asleep before the tears could fall.