XI. Split

I sat on the deck with Hazel and Piper. Piper was watching me teach Hazel how to use the Mist as the others were taking care of whatever was at Split.

I reach out with my mind and spoke to Hazel. Hazel looked bewildered but answered through her thoughts. We spoke like that and I walked her through using the Mist.

She tried it for herself and successfully used it. Hazel grinned widely and clapped her hands. I smiled too and gave her a high five.

"Good job, Hazel," I congratulated. "I believe you could do it. You have to believe more in yourself though. Doubt will cloud you. That goes for you too, Piper."

Piper looked at me confused. "How -?"

"I can read minds, Piper," I said. "Do not underestimate me."

"Do you think you can teach me how to use magic?" Piper asked.

"You're not able to," I replied. "Most people can't. Only some, like children of Hecate or people gifted with the skill."

Piper looked sad for a second. "Makes sense. I like watching you use magic. It's amazing to see."

I lifted my hands and moved them around. Blue mist-like stuff surrounded my arms and I smiled. Piper and Hazel giggled.

A soft growl came from behind me and I felt something push up against me. Idla, my black panther, came up behind me. She laid down and rested her head on my leg.

I smiled and pet her head. "Hello, Idla."

Hello, Esmeralda, Idla responded.

"Who's this?" Piper asked.

"This is Idla, my Spirit," I replied.

A good one too, Idla replied.

I smiled. "I would assume so, Idla."

Idla purred and rubbed her cheek against my leg. I scratched her ears as I talked with Hazel and Piper. We sat there until Jason and Nico returned.

I stood up, Idla getting to her feet as well. Jason and Nico gave her a weird look but brushed it off. We joined them in a circle and they told us their story.

After they finished, I went downstairs with Idla. Frank joined me as I went into my room. I climbed onto my bed and Idla leaped on with me. Frank sat in a chair near me.

"Aren't big cats dangerous?" Frank asked.

Idla rolled her eyes. Humans are more dangerous than my kind are.

I laughed. "Idla doesn't agree. She says humans are more dangerous."

Frank raised an eyebrow momentarily. "She isn't wrong."

Idla licked her chops. Of course, I am.

I rolled my eyes. "What do you want to do know?"

Frank checked his watch. "Well, dinner's in an hour, so we can hang out until then."

I nodded, petting Idla. "Sure. What's your favorite color?"

Frank bit his lip, looking up. "Green. Yours?"

"Dark blue."

Idla butted me, purring loudly. I giggled and petted her. Frank and I talked until the food was ready and we went into the mess hall. Idla followed us and she laid nearby.

"I'm still uneasy about your panther," Leo said. "She's a bit scary."

Idla growled softly.

"She disagrees," I said. "She controls herself but will listen to me if needed. She won't hurt any of you."

"It's dangerous," Jason commented, "having a panther like that hanging around."

I glared at Jason. "Would you rather me not have the Spirit of the Panther within me? I am more powerful because of her and I can defend the ship better. Isn't that what you want?"

Jason rolled his eyes. "Whatever. If she doesn't rip anyone's throats out, I won't do anything."

Idla growled. Like he can hurt me. Doesn't he know I'm stronger and more powerful than him? Sons of Jupiter, am I right?

I maintained eye contact with Jason. "You're right, Idla. He won't hurt either of us. He's not stronger than us. He's an idiot for thinking otherwise."

Jason slammed his fist on the table and I raised my first. A root grew out of the table and wrapped itself around Jason's wrist. Jason tried to break the root but I wrapped another root around his other wrist.

"Don't try me, Jason," I said. "You sons of Jupiter are always trying to be the best at everything. You're not. You're not all high and mighty like your father. Don't try to make a person like me." I leaned across the table and bared my teeth at Jason. "I've been to hell and back. If you try me again or piss of me or Idla again, you'll regret it."

I shoved my chair away from the table and stood up. Idla got to her feet and followed me to the deck. I whistled for Sasha and waited for a few moments. Sasha came spiraling down from the heavens.

I looked down at Idla. "I'll see you around, right?"

Idla licked her chops. "Of course. We're connected to each other."

Idla disappeared in an array of color as Sasha landed on the deck. I swung onto her back as everyone burst onto the deck. They all stared at me with wide eyes.

I grinned them and tapped Sasha's side. "Let's fly."

Sasha spread her wings and we rose into the sky. I breathed in deeply, loving the wind on my face and blowing through my hair.

"I'll be back soon," I called down at the rest of the crew.

With that, Sasha and I flew away.