XII. Ice Queen

I stood at the helm, staring at the landscape around me. We were in the middle of the Mediterranean and it was cloudy. There was a cold drizzle and ice was beginning to form on everything.

I could sense something too. It was a presence to be reckoned with. It was cold, much like the weather, and it was brooding. Idla brushed against my side. She was worried too. I looked at her and her fur was covered in a thin layer of ice. I could see her shivering. She wasn't used to the cold.

I scratched her head. "You feel it too, right? That presence?"

Of course, Idla said. It doesn't feel right. I don't like it. It's too cold and it's filled with hatred.

"I know," I confirmed. "I don't like it. I like warmth."

Piper came to my side. "What do you think it is?"

I shrugged. "Can't be sure. It's there and I don't like it."

Nico joined us. "It's the scepter. It has to be."

"So you don't trust my senses?" I asked.

Nico met my gaze. "I do. I just think the scepter has something to do with it too."

"There's going to be a meeting up here, guys," Jason called over to us.

We gathered on the quarterdecks. It was chilly and the wind swept by. The sea tossed and turned like an insomniac beneath us. Oh, how I wished Percy was here.

Hazel gagged. "Need to -"

Nico kissed her cheek. "Yeah, go."

Hazel stumbled towards the door downstairs. Feeling pity for her, I used magic to steady her as she went downstairs. It helped her get to the bathroom.

Nico brushed some ice out of his hair. "I should put this thing away. If it's causing the weather, maybe putting it away . . ."

"I'm sure that'd be a good idea," I said. "I don't believe it's the thing causing the weather, but I can feel it. It's casting off some bad vibes."

Jason grabbed my arm. "If Nico thinks it's causing the weather, then that's what's causing the weather."

Idla growled and lept to her feet. I waved my hand in front of Jason's face and caused him to freeze. 

"I have better senses than you, son of Jupiter," I replied. "I can sense a presence hanging around and it isn't the scepter."

I let go of Jason and headed downstairs. Frank followed me. I angrily put my hair into a ponytail as I stormed into my room. Frank stepped inside as I started cleaning up furiously.

Frank reached out and grabbed my arm. "Ezzy, you don't need to be angry."

I threw a shirt into my hamper and whipped around to face Frank. "Really? Jason is over there undermining me in everything I say and he won't listen to me."

Frank grabbed both of my arms. Just then, Idla materialized and growled aggressively at Frank.

I waved my hand at her. "It's fine, Idla. Don't worry. Frank, he won't listen to me when I'm right."

Frank pulled me close. "There's no need to worry, Ezzy. He'll come around soon. He's just used to everyone listening to him. He's not used to someone standing up to him."

I gently grabbed Frank's arms. "I know. I just want him to not do that anymore."

Frank wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me. "I know and I understand where you're at. Don't stress it right now, honey."

I sighed. "I know. I just -"

Before I could finish my sentence, the whole room froze. My vision went black and I couldn't feel anything. My skin felt cold and I was already shivering. I felt a presence. Multiple, in fact, on the deck with the three up there. I had to help but I couldn't move. It didn't feel like long until my skin began to warm up. My vision cleared and I could move. I squeezed Frank's arms as warmth finally returned to my body.

I looked up at Frank. He was unfrozen as well. I smiled and hugged Frank. He hugged back and scooped me up. Frank set me down and we looked into our eyes, smiling. I remembered what happened and I ran out the door, Frank following me at my heels. I dashed up the stairs, the others following close behind.

I was ready to blast someone with power but was faced with Piper, standing alone. She looked back at us, smiling. I looked around and the ice was gone. It was warm and sunny, not cold and icy. Festus turned to us and creaked and chattered. I spotted Jason nearby.

"Where did everyone go?" I asked. "Where's Leo? The other's I felt?"

"Leo got thrown into the air," Piper replied. "Jason and I are still here. That presence was the evil ice queen we met in Quebec. I sent her away."

I tackled Piper in a hug. "Good job, Pipes. You could to it." I pulled away and looked around, loving the feeling of the warm weather. "I love the warm weather too. I'm not usually the one for the cold."

Piper laughed. "Thanks. What happened to you guys?"

"We basically became ice cubes," Nico replied. "Where's Leo?"

Piper looked up. "I'm not sure. The Ice Witch threw him up into the air. Ezzy, can you feel him anywhere nearby?"

I shook my head. "No, I can't. He's not anywhere nearby. Leo's not in our area."

Piper cried out and fell into my arms. I hugged her tightly. She cried into me, wrapping her arms around my shoulders. I gently pet her hair, trying to calm her down. I knew how close she was to Leo. We couldn't really survive without Leo manning this ship, though I knew we had to. We had to find him too.