hopeless (t.holland)

summary: you try to get over tom, and relive your history with him. your assistant also gets involved.

written in: third person (y/n, her)

The sky was painted in brilliant shades of red-orange and bright pink as the sun set on the Hawaiian horizon

The sky was painted in brilliant shades of red-orange and bright pink as the sun set on the Hawaiian horizon. Colors blended together as if an artist was mixing them himself.

y/n sipped on her piña colada as she lounged in a yellow plastic beach chair by the ocean. For the first time in so long, she felt at ease.

It was also the longest she has gone without thinking about him. She needed this vacation to get that boy out of her head and her heart.

Her phone buzzed and she had a missed text from the heartbreaker himself.

THOMAS 💥✌️
hey y/n! where are you??
I checked your place
and you are not there.

y/n sighed, and put her palm to her forehead in frustration. Tom was her best friend, and she wanted to reply to his text. But she knew he was probably hoping for some advice on how to impress a girl or something like that.

However, as anyone knew, the worst feeling is loving someone and watching them fall in love with someone else. A pain y/n has had to endure time and time again with her undying crush, Tom Holland.

Having a movie star best friend was difficult enough, but when he was as handsome and charismatic as Tom it was even worse watching so many girls fawn over him. And he had no idea. Tom had no idea that he could steal the heart of any girl in the room, including y/n's. Except, her heart was already stolen by him.

That's why when her job awarded her with a complimentary but last minute tropical getaway, she jumped at the fantastic opportunity. She just needed to get away from Tom and clear her head for a bit. She needed to get over her silly little crush that had gone on too long. 13 years to be exact. And she could easily recall when it began.

A ten year old girl rode her hot pink bicycle down the sidewalk, rolling down the familiar asphalt with ease. She was peacefully biking through her neighborhood, when she heard a yelp, followed by pained crying.

She located the source of the crying, a smallish boy with mousy brown hair and big ears. Tears were streaming down his face, and he sat on the sidewalk with his knees tucked to his chest. He had an ill-fitting helmet that was too big for him and a shiny new grey bicycle laying in the grass next to him.

The little girl awkwardly walked up and stood in front of him. After a long silence except for the roar of passing cars and quiet whimpers from the boy, she sat next to him and mimicked his posture by tucking her knees in.

"Are you okay? Why are you crying?"

The boy looked at her, seemingly confused as to why this stranger was talking to him. Then he wiped his tears furiously and looked away sheepishly.

"I was not crying," he huffed with anger and shame.

"You were too. But it's okay. Did you fall off your bike?"

He nodded mournfully and added softly, " I don't really know how to ride it."

The girl leaped up excitedly, powered by her idea. "How about I teach you? I'm pretty good!"

She picked up his bike and flicked the bell that was attached to the handlebar. The boy smiled and mounted his bike as she mounted hers. Thus began bike riding classes and a long lasting friendship. And crush.

y/n picked up her phone, too guilty to ignore him.

y/n 👑✨
sorry tom. i went on a
last minute trip for work. it's only
three days, I'll be home soon. you can
call me if you need to talk.

THOMAS 💥✌️
ok don't worry. it can wait for when
you come back. enjoy your trip.
i miss you!

"I miss you too," y/n replied aloud.

"Huh?" Her assistant Hunter looked at her with confusion. She hastily said it was nothing, and went back to sucking on her straw.

Hunter sat up and scooted his beach chair closer to hers. His sapphire eyes were dazzling, and his six pack glistened with sweat and humidity. Any girl who he liked was lucky.

"Are you okay? You seem a little down lately."

y/n looked up, and shrugged. "It's personal stuff. Don't worry about it."

Hunter grabbed her hand abruptly, and said, "y/n I'm your assistant. It's my job. Plus, I care about you."

y/n said nothing and just gaped  at their hands in surprise. Hunter noticed and let go sheepishly.

"Is is it Tom again?" Hunter asked with an annoyed sigh.

y/n's voice rose as she said, "nooo, of course not," but after a disbelieving look from Hunter she groaned and said, "yeah it's Tom. I just.. I don't know."

Hunter looked down. "You like him."

y/n stared at him. "Yeah. Yeah I..I do."

Hunter stood up quickly and practically yelled, "But why? You've liked him for years and this has gone nowhere. Now you're just torturing yourself. You should be with someone who likes you too. Like..like me."

The gears turned in y/n's brain as she took a minute to process his words. "Wait..what?"

Hunter blushed and took y/n's hand once more, placing it on his solid chest. She could feel his heart beating.

"I like you. You're smart, determined, and beautiful. Will you go out with me?"

y/n yanked her hand out of his grasp, and stepped backwards away from him. "I don't know what to say. I just..Im not over Tom. And you deserve someone who is completely into you. I'm not saying there's no chance but.."

"Yeah. I get it, you're hopeless. I have to go," Hunter grumbled as his expression grew stormy. He stomped away to the rental house.

y/n sat back in her chair, replaying the events in her head. Her mind kept wandering back to one thought: how could she ever get over Tom?

Hunter was right about one thing.

She was hopeless.