Chapter 7

(English version)

-G: "No Matteo, I don't agree."

-M: "Why? It does not seem wrong to set up a minimum level of control. It would serve to guarantee the correct observance of our customs and participation in the celebrations. "

-G: "I do not think that a" religious police "is the right thing. What would be its purpose, to sanction "the less faithful"? And what result would you get? Only cynicism and repression. "

-M: "You're too drastic, Gabriele. Try to understand what I mean. We know what evils we must avoid, and what led to the estrangement of man from God in his history. Despite this, the seed of rebellion and selfishness is more active in some individuals, and for their sake we must prevent them from taking wrong paths, even if this may seem an injustice to them. "

-G: "You are using the excuse of having to choose the lesser evil to avoid the greater one, but a Christian does not choose the lesser evil. The Christian chooses the good, chooses justice. If we begin to control the lives of each of our brothers, for some faith will become an imposition, and not a sincere encounter with the Lord. We must avoid falling back into pure formalism, which would be tantamount to hypocrisy and distortion of the word of God. The mission of every child of God is to accompany his brother lost to him, through a patient journey, not to push him by force. in the past, and you know what the consequences were. "

-L: "I'm sorry Gabriele, but I agree with Matteo. If we do not somehow instigate everyone to participate at least in mass, the responsibility for their spiritual death would be ours. It is urgent to check. Having said that, I'm going to buy an ice cream. I buy it for you too, okey? "

-G: "Of course, thank you!"

-M: "Go ahead,Luca, when you come back, let's play football on the beach."

-G: "However i'm afraid of you, like many others. I am convinced that individuals like you will soon gather in movements or parties and clash to have the hegemony of faith, as if it were something to be possessed, managed and controlled. Be careful, because otherwise you will turn a revolution of spiritual liberation into a dictatorship of the soul, making us return to the mental and social mechanisms of the selfish and corrupt man who ruled the Old World. The road is short, and you could act on behalf of the devil through the word of God. "

-M: "I don't see conditions for this radical transformation. The majority of the community is in favor of similar measures, I do not think they are all "selfish and corrupt" as you say. In the last few days I read in the newspapers that even many senior Church representatives support such measures. "

-G: "And this is what worries me."

-M: "Now you do not even trust bishops and cardinals?

-G: "I trust Jesus. And the Gospel teaches that the majority is not always on the right side. Perhaps almost never. In fact, the referendum between Jesus and Barabbas was won by the latter, condemning the Truth to be nailed to a cross. Reflect on this, Matteo, I recommend it for your own good. Now I have to go to the parish boys. "

-M: "Don't you come with us to play football?

-G: "I can't, I'm late. We see you guys these days."

-L: "Hey, and your ice cream ??"

                                                                                (Italian version)

-G: "No Matteo,non sono d'accordo."

-M: "Perché? Non mi sembra sbagliato predisporre un minimo livello di controllo. Servirebbe per garantire la giusta osservanza delle nostre usanze e la partecipazione alle celebrazioni."

-G: "Non credo proprio che una "polizia religiosa" sia la cosa giusta. Quale sarebbe il suo scopo,sanzionare "i meno fedeli"? E quale risultato otterresti? Solo cinismo e repressione."

-M: "Sei troppo drastico,Gabriele. Cerca di capire cosa intendo. Sappiamo quali sono i mali che dobbiamo evitare,e a cosa abbia portato l'allontanamento dell'uomo da Dio,nella sua storia. Nonostante ciò,il seme della ribellione e dell'egoismo è più attivo in alcuni individui,e per il loro bene dobbiamo evitare che prendano strade sbagliate,anche se questo può sembrare un'ingiustizia nei loro confronti."

-G: "Stai usando la scusa di dover scegliere il male minore per evitare quello maggiore,ma un cristiano non sceglie il male minore. Il cristiano sceglie il bene,sceglie la giustizia. Se cominciamo a controllare le vite di ogni nostro fratello,per alcuni la fede diverrà un'imposizione , e non un incontro sincero con il Signore. Dobbiamo evitare di ricadere nel puro formalismo,che equivarrebbe a ipocrisia e distorsione della parola di Dio. La missione di ogni figlio di Dio è accompagnare il fratello disperso verso di Lui,attraverso un cammino paziente,non spingerlo con la forza.E' già successo in passato,e sai bene quali siano state le conseguenze."

-L: "Mi dispiace Gabriele,ma anche io la penso come Matteo. Se non istighiamo in qualche modo tutti a partecipare perlomeno alla messa, la responsabilità di una loro morte spirituale sarebbe nostra. Urge controllare. Detto ciò,vado a prendermi un gelato.Lo compro anche per voi,okey? "

-G: "Certo,grazie!"

-M: "Vai pure Luca,quando torni andiamo a giocare a pallone sulla battigia."

-G: "Comunque voi mi fate paura, come tanti altri. Sono convinto che presto individui come voi si aggregheranno in movimenti o partiti e si scontreranno per avere l'egemonia della fede,come se fosse una cosa da poter possedere,gestire e controllare. State attenti,perché altrimenti trasformerete una rivoluzione della liberazione spirituale in una dittatura dell'anima,facendoci tornare ai meccanismi mentali e sociali dell'uomo egoista e corrotto che governava il Vecchio Mondo. La strada è breve,e potreste agire per conto del demonio attraverso la parola di Dio."

-M: "Non vedo i presupposti per questa trasformazione così radicale. La maggioranza della comunità è a favore di simili misure,non credo che siano tutti "egoisti e corrotti" come dici tu.In questi ultimi giorni ho letto sui giornali che anche molti alti rappresentanti della Chiesa sostengono tali provvedimenti."

-G: "Ed è proprio questo che mi preoccupa."

-M: "Ora addirittura non ti fidi dei vescovi e dei cardinali?

-G: "Io mi fido di Gesù. E il Vangelo insegna che non sempre la maggioranza è dalla parte giusta. Forse quasi mai. Infatti il referendum tra Gesù e Barabba fu vinto da quest'ultimo,condannando la Verità ad essere inchiodata ad una croce. Rifletti su questo,Matteo,te lo consiglio per il tuo bene. Ora devo andare dai ragazzi della parrocchia."

-M: "Non vieni con noi a giocare a pallone?

-G: "Non posso,sono in ritardo.Ci vediamo in questi giorni ragazzi."

-L: "Ehi, e il tuo gelato??"