SIX

CHAPTER SIX | TECHNICAL TREASON

__________

something stronger than me, more deliberate, drags me back, propels me forward. something more powerful than me rises within me, invades me, consumes me, leave my most secret plans in disarray,

-case dismissed // benjamin fondane

__________

Monday came quickly and Bella walked into the school feeling like a criminal. The weekend felt like it barely existed, due to the crushing weight of breaking several international laws and lying to her boyfriend and brother. She hadn't even been able to fully enjoy Wicked on Saturday with Peter and instead of going to his after ( like he had offered and she had really wanted ), she just went home to wallow.

"Hey, babe," Peter greeted leaning against his locker beside hers.

"Babe?" Bella questioned, a smile quirking at her lips.

"I was trying something new." He smiled and glanced down at his shoes quickly. "Not good?"

"I thought it was sweet," Bella said, laughing. "Does this mean I can call you—" she faltered, trying to think up the most awful pet-name. "Baby?"

"Absolutely not," Peter scoffed, his face twisting into a grimace. "No way."

Bella frowned. "Why not?"

Sighing, Peter moved in close and bent down so his lips were near her ear. "Not in public, okay?"

Laughing shrilly, Bella pressed up on her toes and kissed him. As his lips moved against hers, she tried to repress the guilt rising up in her gut at the memory of her blatant lies.

[ ... ]

Lunch could not have come quicker, especially after the hellish test Mr. Harrington had given them in APUSH. Peter, MJ, and Ned were sitting at their usual lunch table. Abby, Arden, Cara, and Marissa sat across the room with Betty Brant and Flash Thompson. Not feeling in the mood for Flash's antics, Bella made a B-Line for Peter's table.

She sat down just in time to hear MJ say, "Peter, you radiate little dick energy."

"What?" Peter whined, eyes wide in shock as Ned cackled with his whole body.

"I wouldn't say it's that small," Bella said, grimacing as she struggled with the zipper on her lunch box.

Peter froze beside her, his face the same shade as his Spider-Man suit. Both Ned and MJ's eyes were bigger than quarters as they stared at Bella.

"What?" she asked innocently, looking up from her lunchbox. "It's not. I mean, it's not huge or anything, but it's average size." She shrugged and went back to trying to fix the zipper. "And, besides, I've read that most people who sleep with people who haves penises are more satisfied when their partner's penis is average sized because it's easier to—"