NINE

CHAPTER NINE | THE BLINKING RED LIGHT

__________

struggling means that you're trying

-and trying means you still have the chance to make it
we'll get there some day

__________

INCOMING CALL: TONKY STANK

Bella groaned loudly at the sight. Without hesitation, she clicked 'answer' before immediately hanging up on him. Three seconds later, he was calling again. She did the same as before. They repeated this cycle several times over until, in a fit of pure rage, she answered the phone.

"WHAT?"

"Ah, so nice to hear your voice, Bella."

"Just tell me what you want, Tony," Bella sighed, tapping her fingernails against her desk. "I'm busy."

"I hear you stood Peter up."

"He told you that?" Bella howled, scowling.

"No. Ashara told me."

"That bitch! I'm never telling her anything ever again! And you can tell her that!"

"Bella," Tony said evenly. "Is there some supervillain plot going on that you're trying to stop on your own? Look, I know Peter took care of one back in the spring but that was my fault, okay? You don't need to take care of something on your own."

"Can you shut the hell up and stop acting like you care about other people?" Bella snapped, anger rising within her. "Because if you actually gave a shit, Steve would be here with his wife and son and not on the run from the freaking government!"

Before Tony could respond, Bella yelled loudly and hung up. She flung her cell phone across the room. It hit the wall above her bed and then fell to the mattress with a muffled thump.

"Stop throwing things, Bells!" Alex's voice yelled from downstairs.

"Go to work, asshole!" Bella screamed back.

Peaceful silence responded. Settling into her desk chair, Bella leaned back and examined the next question of her math homework. Ugh. She'd definitely need to go to Abby or Peter for help with remembering what they did in class. Her half-assed notes from the last class were so not cutting it.

There was a knock at the door.

"Go away, Alex. I'm not in the mood."

"It's me... not Alex."

Going ramrod straight, Bella's gaze landed on the closed door. Before she could respond, the door creaked open just enough for Peter to look inside. His eyes met Bella's; her stomach felt like lead.

"Hi," she said quietly.

"Alex let me in as he was leaving," Peter said, awkwardly stepping inside and shutting the door.