Chapter Four

Above pic is Mrs Elderflower.

--

"Where is your A2 piece of work?" Mrs Elderflower narrowed her eyes as she shuffled through the drawer in the classroom that held all my art.

"I didn't do it." I shrugged.

"Why not, Miss Slater?" Mrs Elderflower questioned, her voice as cold as ever.

"Because I didn't want to." I responded.

"I'm afraid that isn't a valid excuse. If this continues I will have to take this further." Mrs Elderflower warned. "Now, show me the A3 piece that was due last week," she glanced down at a sheet in her hand and then back up, "I don't seem to have marked yours yet."

"Oh, yeah... about that."

"Miss Slater, please can you stand outside. I would like to have a word with you in private." Mrs Elderflower sighed, her eyes scanning the table where I was sitting, having noticed how despite the fact that they all looked as if they were painting and drawing, all my friends were still clearly listening to our conversation.

Mrs Elderflower led me out of the art classroom until we were standing in the corridor outside the room that had now become rather familiar. She began to drone on about deadlines, and education, and my future, but I had zoned out, much preferring to focus on a small patch of peeling red paint on the wall to my left.

"...so I'm afraid I'm going to have to call your parents." Mrs Elderflower concluded, looking every so slightly smug, obviously thinking she had gained the upper hand.

"I don't think you're gonna be doing that."

"Excuse me?" Mrs Elderflower looked confused, and affronted.

"Yeah, I live alone. I'm almost 19, y'know."

"Right." she gave me an odd look, one that could have been mistaken for pity, were it not for the fact that it was my ruthless art teacher giving me said look, and turned around without a word, disappearing back inside the classroom. The lesson continued for another ten minutes before I was in trouble once more.

"Miss Slater?" Mrs Elderflower's steely eyes were boring into mine as I turned to meet her gaze. The eyes of the other 14 people in my class were already trained on me. We were gathered around the middle table of our art classroom as Mrs Elderflower was going through examples of past A-Level student's work. I hadn't been listening, and had instead been distracted by Kendra's wandering hands on my waist. I kept telling her to stop, but she didn't.

"Sorry, Miss." I said awkwardly as Kendras fingers fiddled with the waistband of my basketball shorts.

A minute later, Mrs Elderflower had to stop again as Kendras lips found my ear and began to whisper things that perhaps shouldn't be repeated in front of children or, for that matter, anyone.

"If  you have something to say, Kendall, please announce it to the class."

"It's Kendra." my girlfriend said, sounding annoyed. Mrs Elderflower's eyes flickered between Kendra's hands on my waist and the uncomfortable look on my face.

"Mmm. Well, Kendrell, you're disrupting my class so please step outside, I'll be having a word with you in a moment."

"Why? She hasn't done anything wrong!" I protested, although Mrs Elderflower didn't miss the relieved look on my face as Kendra stepped away.

"It's alright, babe." Kendra murmered, placing a kiss on my cheek, completely oblivious to the look of gratitude I flashed towards my art teacher as the door closed behind Kendra.