Chapter Twenty-One

Cover pic is Rita - inspired by Helena Bonham Carter.

--

Amsterdam is one of the world's most appealing and offbeat metropolises, and I was thrilled to be back after such a long time. I arrived in the very centre, standing outside of Central Station, looking around myself in awe. Memories came flooding back of the last time I was here; memories of her. But I pushed them to the back of my mind and got a tram to my hotel. I had saved up a long time for this, and I was going to make the most of it.

"Name?" questioned the man at the reception.

"Emma Slater." I responded, smiling as he handed me a key, "Bedankt." I thanked him.

When I was in the hotel, I found a grubby leaflet left on the floor and picked it up with a frown.

'Lately,' it read, 'media coverage on tourists in Amsterdam has been quite negative. However, some do see the positive side of all the tourists making their way into Amsterdam. It's a great opportunity to get in touch with new cultures, and to spread a positive image of a city like Amsterdam. This motivated bike rental company 'Yellow Bike' to come up with an extremely clever idea: Yellow Backie, a yellow luggage rack (a backie), attached to an Amsterdam citizen's bike, that is available for tourists to hop on and explore the city in a totally new way. All you do is shout the word 'Backie' at a local with the yellow luggage rack and they will stop for you.'

I had left the leaflet behind and not thought much about it, however later on as I was walking across a large bridge, I spotted a man with a yellow luggage rack. Just as I was about to ask if I could hop on, a short, pudgy, tanned man shouted 'BACKIE' and the bike stopped to allow him to join. They pedalled away and I sighed, not realising how much I had wanted to join in. All of a sudden, yellow flashed across my vision once more, and I couldn't believe my luck.

"Backie!" I shouted, running to the woman. As I hopped onto the bike, perching sideways on the back, holding onto her shoulders, she immediately began to pedal. "Hallo!" I said shyly, smiling.

"Hallo! You're English?" she questioned, shouting over the sound of traffic.

"Yes! I am!"

"Where are you heading?" she asked, and I realised she was English too.

"I'll go wherever you go!" I responded, and her laugh was a musical one as she took a left down a quiet street. I realised quickly that for all I knew, she could have been a murderer. But, in that moment, I couldn't bring myself to care.

"What's your name?" she asked, a dark brown fringe tickling her eyebrows as she quickly chanced a look at me.

"Elizabeth Brown!" I lied, "You?"

"Rita Koch! Lovely to make your acquaintance!"

--

"Hello." I said nervously, squinting in the bright lights that shined upon me. "I'm Elizabeth Brown, I'm going to be singing U.N.I by Ed Sheeran. Thank you." a weak round of applause went around the bar.

"Whoop! That's my girl!" I heard Rita shout, despite only having known me for 6 days. I began to sing, pouring out my heart for the first time in a long time. Images of blonde hair and blue eyes flashed behind my closed ones as I willed myself not to cry.

"I found your hairband on my bedroom floor,

The only evidence that you've been here before,

And I don't get waves of missing you anymore,

They're more like tsunami tides in my eyes,

Never getting dry, so I get high, smoke away the days never sleep with the light on,