Chapter Forty-One

A/N: You guys aren't even readyyyyy for the next few chapters. I'm so excited about this! Nothing dark, I promise. It's time they enjoy themselves for once.

Cover picture is Elise.

--

"I still don't understand why we have to go," I complained, kicking off my shoes to rest my feet on the dashboard.

"Because," Elise took one hand off of the steering wheel and slapped them back down, "I said so."

"That's so unfair."

"Life is unfair, Em," She smirked.

"You can't use a cute nickname and be rude to me."

"Who says?" Elise laughed wickedly.

"Whatever," I grumbled, "You only want to go because of the attention."

"Precisely," Elise's eyes flicked up to the rearview mirror and she signalled to overtake a bright, green tractor, "I can't believe we've only been driving for an hour and you haven't stopped complaining since we left."

"It's not my fault you want to go to this stupid school reunion. You weren't even invited, it's students only!"

"Plus ones were invited, however," Her eyes flashed with delight, "I can't wait to see their faces when we turn up, arm-in-arm."

"You're insatiable," I grimaced.

"You've said that before," Elise shot me a flirtatious wink and I swallowed, no doubt going bright red, "Besides, we compromised, did we not? I wanted to hire a jet to get there, and you insisted on some sort of 'road trip'."

"Well, at least you can be happy knowing I regret it," I grumbled, "Eleven hours stuck in a car with you is my worst nightmare. Even if it is a Bentley."

"Emma!" Elise scolded, whacking me lightly on the shoulder without removing her eyes from the road.

"Ow! Stop hitting me!" I burst out into peals of laughter, "Really, Duchess, violence isn't the answer. That reminds me, what names are we going to go by when we're there? Emma Slater and Elise Douglas-Hamilton or Elizabeth Brown and Sophia Hart?"

"I suppose we should just go as what we were known as when we were at school, to make things easier. Emma Slater and Elise Elderflower."

"You don't mind using that surname?"

"No," Elise shook her head, sighing, her mind no doubt flashing with images of the manor. It had only been a month since it happened, and we were still very much in recovery, another reason why this plan was incredibly stupid, "I'd rather that than be asked why my name is Douglas-Hamilton again."

"I suppose, officially, your name is Sophia Hart now."

"I should change it back. There's not much point using a fake name now, is there?"

"I never actually changed mine," I shrugged, "On my birth certificate it's still Emma Slater."

"Yes, well, that's because you weren't hiding from a murderous ex-husband."

"I mean, you're not wrong," I rolled my eyes, "But there's no need to be so dramatic about it."

"I'm not dramatic," Elise scoffed.

"Oh you so are," I grinned, "You're the biggest drama queen, but it's fine, 'cause I love you."

"Ah," Elise suddenly reached out and gently took my hand in hers as she drove, "I don't think I'll ever get used to you saying that. It is very special. I love you too."