six

"Hell-o, beautiful!" Sirius greeted as he sat across from Ivory in the dining hall for breakfast

Ivory hummed and poked at her food.

"Ivory?" Sirius said.

"Hmm?" Ivory looked up and rubbed her sleepy eyes. "What is it?"

"Have you been getting any sleep lately?" he asked.

She mentally cursed herself for forgetting to take a Wideye Potion. There was no doubt Sirius remembered Professor McGonagall excusing her from class during Transfiguration. In the past, she would be excused during Charms class - a class she did not share with Sirius.

Ivory shook her head, strands of her hair falling from her loose ponytail.

"Sweetheart," he mumbled as he lifted up his chin with his finger. "You need to sleep."

"I can't," she mumbled. "I have to practice and study and practice..."

"Practice for what?" Sirius asked, confused.

Ivory's eyes snapped open. "Nothing!" She got up and left the dining hall as Professor Nui passed by and secretly passed her a note.

She took the note in between her fingers and tucked it into the band of her skirt. Sirius eyed them suspiciously, and Professor Nui flashed him a charming smile. Sirius didn't return his smile, but instead scowled. Professor Nui didn't take offense and continued to smile.

After breakfast, it was time for class and Ivory had History of Magic first.

Ivory sat at her usual seat: up front, closest to the windows. Ivory listened to Professor Binns with great intensity. Her quill smoothly wrote in a straight line across her paper as she looked up from her paper and back down.

Though she took notes to help her study, Ivory often found herself staring out of the windows and her left hand fingers would unconsciously move to a certain piece that she practiced with Professor Nui.

"Conver, are you with us?" Professor Binns asked with a wheeze.

"Hmm? Oh, yes, sir! Sorry," she responded.

Professor Binns carried on with his lesson until the end of the class, where he dismissed the rest of the class.

Sirius waited for her at the doorway, but Professor Binns stopped Ivory.

"Conver, come here please."

Ivory walked up to him.

"Professor Nui tells me that you want to be a violinist for dragons," he whispered excitedly.

"That's correct, sir."

"As much as I hate to say this, seeing as you are one of my best and favorite students, I do not think that this class can offer you much for your future career."

"Oh, don't say that, Professor Binns!" Ivory scolded. "I love this class, and if anyone asks me about the history of magic, I can bravely outwit them with my knowledge if they underestimate my ability to play."

Professor Binns sniffled. "If only I could hug you. All right, carry on. Tell your next teacher that I kept you to talk and if they don't believe you, I'll have a talk with them."

"Thank you, Professor Binns!" Ivory shouted as she hurried off to her next class with Sirius.

"What was that about?" Sirius asked.

"He just thought that I was doing too well for the class," Ivory replied without hesitation.