Chapter Two

Matthew took back his sigh when he heard a gun cock. He got to his knees and squinted his eyes towards the noise. There was a man standing right in front of him with the barrel to Matthew's head. His anxiety kicked in.

"Guh sure dreckiger Deutscher! Ich werde dich erschießen!"

"No! Don't shoot!" He shouted. "I haven't done anything wrong! Please!"

"Вы не немецкие?" The man asked, the words rolled off his tongue more smoothly than the German words did.

"Y-you're... Russian?" He asked, trying to properly see as he squinted, making note that the man's hair looked too light to be blonde but not a clean white either.

He heard the man scoff, the sound of a gun being thrown on the hard rock ground but not hard enough to break it.

Matthew then felt the strap of his sniper on his back being pulled, and since he was so light, it felt like he was being slightly lifted too. "Hey! Stop that!" Matthew almost growled as it felt like the strap of the gun was going straight through his chest when the men pulled harder. "It hurts now! Let go-!"

A loud snap was heard and the strap was broken. With some rest for his eyes, he could see a little bit, looking at the man with a white scarf around his neck, not even matching his Russian uniform. He was examining the sniper the German unit had provided Matthew.

"It's not mine, I swear! Please, please just spare me! I need to get back to America! My brother is there and he can help me, I fight for the Allies, I am not German nor a traitor to my country!" Matthew was so scared he didn't even stutter. Usually he did if he was scared but this took a twist and it even scared him more.

The Russian looked at him and only stared before going to retrieve his gun and sitting against the right side of the place they were in. Since Matthew could see a little more, he realized he fell into a cave and the Russian was there when he fell in. "America?" The man asked.

Matthew, who was surprised the Russian spoke English, shook his head, "N-no...not America. My country is Canada."

The Russian seemed uninterested when Matthew had replied, still examining his gun while sitting down. "Your name?"

"What?" Matthew asked, the wind still howling outside of the cave as he felt for the opposite wall where Ivan was sitting and tried to stand.

He heard an obvious growl from the Russian, making him lean closer to the wall to get away from him.

"I asked for your name."

"Oh. It's... it's Matthew Williams. What is your's?"

"Why would I tell you my name? You could use my name against me somehow. That is usual for war."

Matthew wanted to his his head with a block of hail. Why didn't I think of that?! He had his back to the wall when his sight got better. But damn, his scratched up eye stung more.

He raised a hand to his wounded eye and felt the scratches. Luckily, there was no blood. He glanced over at the man across the cave, a good distance away from him. He looked over at the man and saw he was already looking at him. He quickly turned away looking out from the cave.

The Canadian could see the wind and snow falling so heavily, almost like rain. He tried not to get distracted though, shooting a glance towards the Russian ever so often to make sure he wouldn't get close. He never did. He stayed in one spot, mostly messing with the two guns.

He was nervous. He was anxious. He was scared. He was frozen. All the things a soldier shouldn't be in a small space with another soldier.

"I-I want my gun..." Matthew stumbled out aloud after building up his courage.

"нет." The Russian replied.

He took that as a "no."

"And why not?"

The Russian looked up from whatever he was doing and looked over at Matthew. "You will not be getting your gun back. I don't want you to shoot me.",

He couldn't believe what he was hearing. "I-I told you... I'm not a German. I'm Canadian!"

The Russian stood which made Matthew jump back, now realized how small he was compared to the much taller other. He pulled his scarf over his mouth as he threw his gun over his back, holding Matthew's sniper.

"What are you doing?" Matthew's attention was now on the Russian who looked like he was going to go out into the 'blizzard.'

The Russian turned his head slightly to see Matthew in the corner of his eye, "What does it look like?"

"I-It looks like you're going to go out into that hell storm because you're insane!"

The Russian thought about it for a second but nodded, "Da." He made sure his scarf was secure before he started walking out of the cave ignored Matthew calling for him, "W-Wait! You'll get hurt! You'll d-die!"

But his calls were too late. He was alone in an empty cave without anyone or anything. But he did have one thing. He pulled out the pistol he had from his belt but accidently dropped it by his jet black boots, picking it up quickly and grasping it.

He wasn't completely helpless. But he was alone in only the beginning of a blizzard outside. He didn't know how long blizzards lasted in Russia, nor how cold they would get.

He would last longer without getting cold though, since he lived in Canada ever since he was born. But he didn't know about any wild life. Were there bears? Were there wolves? Were there foxes? He had no idea.

He stood, making his way to the back of the cave, hoping it would be warmer as he curled up into a ball, holding the pistol tight in his hand. "Kumajiro..." Matthew silently whispered, wanting his friend to keep him warm and for someone to be there with him. But yet he had no idea where his bear was.

As time flew by quickly, the cave once had light but that light faded when night came by. The blizzard was still ongoing and in the night it only got colder.

He could withstand it though even though he still trembled. His back was facing the opening of the cave as he tried to warm his face with his breath. He also used his helmet to keep the back of his head away from the cold.

It was so dark. He couldn't even see if he had stratches on himself or if his scratch was any better.

He was all alone. He was eaten by the darkness. He was being frozen alive. He was all alone.

To be continued...