Chapter Twelve

Matthew was back at Francis' house later that night. He was soaked from the non-stop rain that was still outside.

    Francis hurried to him, "Matthew! Mon dieu! You can get a cold from going into the rain like this!" He took Matthew's coat off of him which was dripping.

    Arthur took his arm gently leading him to upstairs, "Come on, you need rest."

    After Matthew changed into another set of clothes, he sat on his bed just looking up at the ceiling. Alfred was trying to go to sleep but glanced at him from time to time. "Did you meet him?"

   Matthew snapped out of it, looking at his brother, "Hm?"

   Alfred repeated himself, "Did you meet Ivan? The Russian soldier?"

   He didn't know if he could trust him of what Ivan told him. That Ivan lied to everyone important to the country. "I did."

   "What did he say? What did he do?"

   "...He knew me. We kissed."

   Alfred sighed at his answer, "Mattie, I need details! What did he say?"

   "...He said he was glad to see me healthy again. And after more...taking...we kissed and said goodbye for the night."

   Alfred was about to give up and go to sleep but before he could Matthew smoke again, "And something else, but you have to promise me you won't tell another soul."

   The American nodded.

   The Canadian continued.

   "He lied to protect us. We met in a cave during a blizzard when he tried to kill me and I tried to do the same. But we realized we acted like children. And after more conversations, and berries, we fell in love."

   Alfred's eyes widened to the sound of that. "So what he told us was a lie?"

   Matthew nodded, "Yes. He told you the lie because he didn't want anyone to know that me...and him...are in love. He didn't want anyone to know so he made up that story."

   It was silent for a few moments before Alfred spoke again, "What are you going to do now?"

   "About what?"

   "About Ivan? About the two of you." He said, "Ivan is leaving tomorrow afternoon. The only plane willing to take him."

    "What?" Matthew's eyes were about to cry again. "Where? How?"

    "To Alaska. That's the closest we Americans can get to Russia without crossing Europe."

    "He...Ivan didn't tell me this."

    "Maybe he didn't want you to find out."

    "Who's going to take him?"

     "My friend Davie and I are going to take him since we're both pilots. We're going to stop and New York, Somewhere in Canada, then to the very west of Alaska."

    A knock on the door was heard followed by a voice, "Boys, go to sleep. Especially you, Matthew."

   The next afternoon...

   Matthew and Alfred were walking to the camp where Alfred and Davie would be taking Ivan back to Russia. It was close to them leaving, around 30 minutes until. But once they got there, Davie was already getting ready and chatting with Ivan.

   "Davie!" Alfred called as they got closer.

   He looked up and smiled when he saw Alfred, "Alfred! There you are! You're a bit early."