Chapter Nine

Weeks past. After Matthew had a few sessions of physical therapy, he was able to be released from the hospital.

    He was given a white button up shirt with black dress shoes and pants since the only clothing he had before was his military uniform. Torn. Stained. Mangled. His uniform was in a suit case they also gave him along with his belongings. It felt off not having a left arm. His left sleeve was empty unlike everyone else's with an arm to use.

     Just as Matthew was walking out of the hospital door, he heard a familiar voice waiting outside for him,

    "Matthew!" Francis smiled, tears of joy falling from his face as he embraced him in a hug.

    As the hospital staff had told Matthew, he was told Arthur was leading a navy fleet on the east coastline with Alfred being there until he was assigned a mission from America. Francis would be somewhere with Arthur right then, but he couldn't. He was discharged due to an accident with his eye.

    Turns out he was blind in his right eye from the smoke of the war.

    "I missed you so much!" Francis cried on his shoulder softly. He was wearing his uniform though. "You're never going into that warzone again!" Matthew had forgotten his thick French accent he missed so much.

    Matthew nodded, "I don't think I can even if I wanted to, Francis."

    Francis let go of him when he said this, "I'm so sorry! I know it is something to get used to!" It was hard to tell what eye was blind from the color of his blue eyes unless you looked closely. "I'll take your bag for you." He offered but had already taken the suit case from the Canadian's hands.

    "Arthur will be excited to see you again. He will be returning home tomorrow night and will stay for around four days after that."

    "Yeah..." Matthew said softly, looking around the city. People wore fancy clothing as they walked by as they did so as well.

     Francis did most of the talking as they walked home. Some buildings they past were all on the ground crumbled onto the floor and taped off.   He saw a few kids playing when they passed down a street. 

     They were walking on Tower Bridge when Matthew saw the Big Ben. He had forgotten that had ever existed. "The Big Ben is still standing?" He asked.

    Francis nodded, "Yes it is. The Germans haven't bombed it yet so far."

    "You say that like they will bomb it."

    "You never know. Impossible things can happen in war. Like the incident with Jews in Germany."

     "I guess you're right." They continued walking.

     "Have you met the soldier who saved you?" Francis asked in a humming voice.

     Matthew shook his head though he was interested in this topic.

    Francis pulled a strand of his golden hair behind his ear. "Well, he's in London and I bet he will like to see how you are doing. He's going to leave off to Russia in a few days anyways."

    "Francis -"

    "I think you need a haircut, Matthew. You're hair is beginning to look like Arthur's but longer."

    "Francis, what is the soldier's name?"

    "Something traditionally Russian. Ivaniso? I'm not sure..."

    "Ivan?" Matthew asked.

    He nodded, "Yes. Ivan Braginsky if I remember." He put a finger on his chin. "Should we invite him to dinner?"

    "I think I want to talk to him alone."

    Francis was silent for a bit. He gulped, "You know...he killed..."

    "Who?"

    That was when Matthew knew. The one thing who would ask who too much.

    He hugged himself sadly, gritting his teeth slightly. "...maybe you should have told me at home..."

    "I'm sorry..."

    Everyone seems to say that.

   -Timeskip-

   "Look at you! You're looking like England with that hair..." Alfred joked.

    Alfred and Arthur came through the door a few minutes ago, putting down their bags and taking off their caps.

   "Francis offered to cut it." Matthew said gently.

   "Good." Alfred huffed. "You look great besides that though. You look healthy, maybe just eat a bit more."

   Matthew nodded as Alfred went to put his bag upstairs. He and his brother were going to share a room together.

   "Things are going to get better." Arthur said, placing a hand on Matthew's shoulder which made him jump.

    Matthew had been sensitive to such little things. When being touched even the slightest, he would flinch. When being spoken to, he would feel a bit scared. When he went to sleep, he would always curl up unlike he used to. When he would eat, he would eat like it was his last.

   "Thank you." Matthew smiled a bit.

   "Now it's late, you and Alfred should go to bed. I'll do the same." Arthur said, walking into the kitchen to talk to Francis. Matthew went upstairs to see Alfred putting away his things out of Matthew's way.

    Alfred was in the military pants he was wearing with socks, wearing a tank top. His jacket, boots, and others were right beside his bed layed out on the floor.

    All Matthew had was his suitcase of his belongings the hospital gave him. He hadn't opened it even once to see what was inside. He was afraid to.

    To be continued...