Chapter Four

Matthew and Ivan sat away from each other all day, not even glancing at one another. Matthew was holding Kumajiro, burning his face in his fur. The only time they spoke was making little comments about one another in their own language.

     "Этот канадский раздражает~"
     ("This Canadian is annoying~")

     "Tu n'es qu'un idiot..."
    ("You're nothing but an idiot...")

      Matthew sat quietly once again, looking outside at all of the snow falling. Night was also falling quickly. He glanced at his bit arm then at the Russian, "If you want help, you can ask-"

    "I don't need help."

    "You do. I can't stay in here and listen to you grunting whenever the bite bleeds." Matthew stood, setting Kumajiro down in his place of where he sat. He was highly hesitate but he made his way over to him calmly but the Russian snarled,

    "I said, I do not need help."

    "Well too bad." Matthew said, his tone of voice changing to a more rough and commanding one. He then touched the cuff of the Russian's uniform before he snapped again

    He pushed Matthew away from him, "I swear! Leave me be or I kill your bear!"

    Matthew got back up quickly, holding the Russian's wrists to the stone cold wall, "Go ahead!"

    The Russian didn't seem pleased.

    "Go ahead and kill Kumajiro if you want to! It's a bear's  instinct to bite someone who messes with them and the way you appear to be looks like you didn't get the message! Now just shut up and let me help you!"

     The cave was silent. Until the Russian snickered. That was when reality hit him. The Russian was obviously much stronger and taller than Matthew, meaning Matthew could be hurt at any second. Or killed. Oh how much he didn't want to die. But in the situation he was in looked like he very much wanted to die.

    He was holding a Russian soldier still in his grasp, hovering over him as he had just yelled at him. Yet, the Russian still had the nerve to snicker, startling Matthew.

    "Ah," He said with a smile, "You speak like you take charge of me which is pety. You want to act strong, Da?" The Russian flipped his wrists around. He took Matthew's hands in his grip instead. Matthew was then pushed onto his back while the Russian towered him now. "Hm?" He smiled almost like a child, sending chills up and down Matthew's spine, making his body shake beneath the Russian's.

     "When we met, you were ranting on continuasly for your life to be spared. But now look at you," The Russian ran the back of his hand over Matthew's face, scaring him even more. "It seems you are fed up with me. You yell at me like I am no one.  Animal....You have big nerve for treating me like animal, what was it? Matthew?" He guessed his name correctly.

    Their eyes met. Their violet eyes met. Both the same color but yet so different. Matthew's always full of fear and determination like his brother, just the Russian's was so sharp and empty.

    "Matvey, maybe we can come to an agreement."

    "...W-what kind?"

   "So glad you asked. If we stay here with each other for however long that blizzard lasts, you will serve me-"

   "That agreement does not sound pleasing to me..."

   "Oh, it does not?"

   "No...it doesn't."

   "Hm...then maybe-"

   "I don't work for you! I never have...never will. If we stay in this cave with each other, we have to make sure we won't kill each other! We're allies! We're supposed to be working together, not 'serving' each other! Listen, I'll make the fires, and you can get food, alright?" Matthew said sternly. He then saw the Russian glance to his coat. "Yeah! Don't think I didn't smell the fruit from your coat! Cause I can! It's obvious! Deal?"

    Matthew tried to strangle out of the Russian's grip but for a man with an injured arm, he didn't seem to even budge. He stared at Matthew before smiling, "Deal."  He let go of Matthew's wrists, getting off of him. The Russian took out a pack of cigarettes with a Russian written label on it, lighting it from the flames of the fire as Matthew sat up, "Also, my name is Ivan Braginsky, so stop referring me as 'you.'"

     Matthew nodded. "Alright, Braginsky."

     Ivan smiled down at him, blowing out a cloud of smoke, "Then I will call you...Comrade Matvey."

    Matthew just awkwardly smiled trying to go along with it as he stood up. Why is he being so friendly?

    "Smoke?"

    Ivan waved the box in front of Matthew offering one.

    He quickly shook his head, "N-no thanks..." He threw some sticks in the fire before returning to Kumajiro, picking him up easily before walking towards Ivan. "Kumajiro, apologize."

    It was silent for a moment before Ivan scoffed, "You want little bear to apologize? How cute of-"

   "Pardon..." The bear spoke in French.

    "English." Matthew said, a little frustrated he spoke in French on purpose.

    "Sorry..." He bear repeated, bowing his head slightly to him.

    Ivan seemed a little please now, inhaling with his cigarette in his mouth.

   "You apologize too." Matthew said, looking at Ivan. The Russian was now coughing, surprised at such s statement.

   "I do not apologize to animals."

   "You will! You almost killed each other and I don't know how long we're going to be in here but I don't want that to happen again!"

    "My answer is still no."

    "You. Will. Apologize. To. Kumajiro."

    "нет."

    Matthew was more frustrated with the both of them.

    "Вы сделаете, как я говорю." Matthew said, trying to calm down. He had heard the Germans say this to anyone who didn't listen to them and who spoke Russian.

    ("You will listen to me")

    Ivan sighed in defeat of the smaller male. "I am sorry, little bear."

    With that, Matthew smiled,

    "Je vous remercie."

    To be continued...