Chapter Eleven

Matthew finally made it to the bar, looking inside to see no sign of the Russian inside. Just men inside and drinking beer in the warm wooden place. He was too late. He would have to wait a little while longer to see Ivan. He sighed as he walked back outside into the cold weather.

    He looked up and down the street to see no one. But he did see a glimpse of the end of a white scarf turning a corner on the sidewalk. His hopes were too high already.

   Matthew's feet began running even though his mind told him not to. He ran like his life depended on it. He ran like the wolf was chasing him. He ran like trying to get out of that blizzard. He ran like he was being chased by the Germans.

    He turned the corner. And saw the shape of a tall man walking away not too far away. His scarf was dancing in the wind wildly. He was wearing a long coat that belonged to the Russian military. That white hair was being blown too.

    Matthew was frozen. His mouth opened and make a loud sound but he couldn't hear himself at that moment. But he knew others could hear him since the man stopped in his tracks. He knew he said a name and that name belonged to the man. He knew he said it loud because the man heard it even from the wind blowing and the drizzle of the rain hitting the cold stone road.

     When he turned around, their eyes met.

    Their eyes met only for the fourth time but it felt like the first.

    Their eyes the same color but yet so different.

    Matthew began to slowly walk closer to him, forgetting how tall he was. Matthew shuddered, "Ivan Braginsky?" He looked up at him confidently.

    He didn't speak at first. "Matthew Williams?" He said it like it was a word he used everyday.

    Matthew nodded, "Uh...yeah...the soldier you saved in the snow I guess." He looked down at his shoes. "I'm sorry but I can't remember anything you told the doctor."

    "Do you think I would tell your doctor that we met in a cave during a blizzard and fell in love after trying to kill each other?"

    Matthew's head snapped up, looking back up at him. That really was Ivan. His white hair was blowing and so was his scarf. His violent violet eyes became gentle along with the smile on his face.

     "B-but... What..?"

     Ivan pet Matthew's hair softly. He didn't flinch. "You look well, don't you think, Matvey?" He smiled.

    Hearing his name said like that was when the tears he held in came out once again. "...No...I don't think...I feel lost and-and confused..."

    Ivan's smile faded softly. He took his gloved hand off of Matthew's head. It was hard to tell what drops of rain were on Matthew's face and what were his tears. Thunder roared as more clouds rolled in and the rain fell heavier. The two of them ignored it.

    "Matthew, everything the doctor said to you is a lie. I lied to a doctor, the police, and the military. I lied to keep you and I safe. Us safe." Ivan said softly to the point Matthew could hear him.

    "You...You lied to the military?!" Matthew was shocked.

    "I didn't want the whole country of England to know that we were in a relationship!"

    "So you told them you just randomly found me bleeding to death?"

    "Exactly! They believed it so now you're here..."

    Another roar of thumbed was heard  as Matthew sighed. "Then...thank you for lieing for me..."

    Ivan nodded.

   Matthew then handed Ivan something with his only arm. "Then did you put these in my suitcase?" Ivan held the empty box of Russian cigarettes.

   "Possibly." He said gently, looking at the box. "I wanted to try and forget you. I got rid of the things I kept from the cave and gave them to you. I wanted to forget your name, your eyes, your voice...everything..."

    Matthew's eyes lowered to the ground. He was just a phase to him.

   "But I couldn't..."

   Lightning struck, sending light in the flock of pitch black clouds.

   "...I tried to smoke it off at first, but then I got too sick and then cigarettes reminded me of you after that. Then it got to drinking... that's why I'm coming from the bar. But I couldn't forget...and I guess part of me didn't want to either..."

    Matthew's tears stopped.

   "Ivan...I could never forget you. To be honest, I think we're stuck with each other-"

    "No!" Ivan said loudly. Another roar of thunder. "I-I am sorry. I'm just...not sure what I want..."

    "I don't understand..."

    "Matvey. Matthew. After your suicidal attempt, I healed you the best I could. The blizzard stopped shortly after and I tried to find a medic, a doctor, anyone that could help. But then the wolves found us first...I got scratched too many times..." He motioned to his face where there were scars.

    "...But you...you got bit in the arm. I wanted it to be me...or neither of us. I continued looking for someone to help but that was too late when your arm got infected even though I tried to cover it from the snow." He said, facing Matthew now and no longer the cigarettes.

    "...I had to..." Tears gathered in the Russian's eyes. Matthew thought he would never see the day of Ivan like this but he was so terribly wrong. "I h-had to..." He covered his mouth, "...Or else you would die...I didn't want that...I found a small village and a nurse helped me..."

    "This arm...?" Matthew held the sleeve of his empty sleeve of the jacket. It was hollow unlike his other arm which fit into the sleeve.

    Ivan nodded. "I-I'm so sorry...I never wanted to..."

    Lightning struck again.

    Matthew walked closer to him, grazing his only hand on his wet cheek that was cold. "Ivan...I don't know what hell you have been through just for me. In my opinion, you should have left me in that cave for the wolves...but you didn't." He said softly.

     "For that, you're my Savior, Ivan." Matthew said softly as he wiped a tear from Ivan's eye.

     Ivan smiled softly, holding Matthew's hand and taking it off of his face as he leaned in to place a soft kiss on Matthew's lips. After so long.

      To be continued...