Chapter Thirteen

"I swear, one day you boys will end up like me." Francis was beginning to end his scolding which lasted around 20 minutes.

Though they were grown men, Matthew, Ivan, Alfred, and even Davie had to sit through it. They were at the hospital in which Matthew recognized too well.

It was just that night after the bombing had happened. Matthew had a few cuts from the airport camp building breaking, Davie and Alfred were covered in dust along with Davie having a twisted ankle, Ivan was unfortunately sick from the dust and smoke from when the bomb landed along with a few burn marks from the explosion.

All Matthew remembered was what Ivan had said and that he was pushed to the ground by Ivan far away, ordered to keep the scarf to his mouth and nose.

Then the explosion happed and the medics had to come.

They all had to spend the night at the hospital that night. Alfred and Davie were sleep and so was Ivan. Matthew was awake along with he small flickering candle on his bedside which split him and Ivan's bed apart.

Matthew was sitting up in his bed and he took Ivan's scarf off of himself. The pure white like his hair was no longer there. It didn't dance, it looked broken. It was firstly, grey, and no longer had that cold feeling in which Matthew loved.

"Do you want to have it?" A whisper was heard.

Matthew looked beside him to see Ivan lying down on his bed comfortably but turned his body to face the Canadian.

"Why, it is your's to have." Matthew said, blowing the loose dust off of it in the other direction of Ivan.

Ivan smiled gently, closing one of his eyes that was buried in his pillow. "Matthew, I never realized how handsome you look by a candle side."

Matthew smiled softly, "Oh, calm down, Ivan." He whispered back. "I'm not that handsome." He said, taking off his glasses and put it on the nightstand.

Ivan yawned, "You are the most handsome man I know."

Matthew chuckled, lieing down and putting the scarf at the end of his bed while he faced Ivan. "Why do you say all of this stuff now?"

Ivan closed his eyes gently only to open them again to look at Matthew. "There's no one listening to our conversations at night. I can say whatever I would like."

Matthew yawned too. "Then can you say those words...?" He asked shyly, hiding half of his face into his pillow while still looking at the Russian.

Ivan took a moment before realizing what he wanted. "...I love you, Matthew. I am so glad you are alive and happy."

This made his heart flutter now.

"I love you too, my sweet teddy bear." He smiled.

4 years later...May 1945

Matthew turned up the radio with his one and only arm in which he had gotten used to use. A pure white silk scarf wrapped around his neck loosely as he set the radio back down onto the fireplace.

It was just him and Ivan then. They both decided to live together in a nice house, just the two of them along with a nice groomed cat named Maple.

Ivan found a job as a gun repairer while Matthew worked as a military trainer from time to time.

"Hey, Ivan, you're in the paper."

Ivan came into the living room, drying his hands from whatever he was doing and looked over Matthew's shoulder who was sitting on the couch with a newspaper.

"'Ivan Braginsky, most feared soldier in Moscow, Russia has been officially living life in England for 4 years.'" Matthew read.

"Four wonderful years." Ivan hummed as he walked around to sit next to Matthew on the couch. Maple had followed and jumped onto the couch with them, resting on Ivan's lap.

He then placed a sweet kiss on Matthew's cheek with a smile. "Has the broadcast been on yet?"

"No, not yet." Matthew said.

Right after he said that, words were coming from the radio. It was crackly but the two didn't mind.

They both leaned over to hear it more and more, then, the broadcast was over in just minutes. But those minutes meant the world to the two men in that room, to their family, to the city, to the country, to the continent, to the world.

Ivan was the first to stand with a bright smile on his face, "Matthew! Боже мой! It's over! It's finally over!"

Matthew stood along with him, crying tears of joy, "We won! We won!" He laughed and Ivan picked him up playfully as they both laughed. Rejoice happened for a moment before Matthew found himself being hugged by the taller male.

"Matthew,"

"Hm?"

"Remember four years ago?"

"Ivan, a lot of things happened four years ago."

Ivan smiled, still not explaining himself to him at all, "I told you war can't last forever."

Matthew smiled against Ivan's lips, "But love will."

The end.